CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

coolant leaking

MetalGod

A couple of weeks ago, I had noticed steaming from under the hood and from time to time, I have had to add coolant. Just recently, I finally spotted dripping as I had been unable to do so for quite some time. The only problem is when I actually see the dripping, it appears to be falling from wires. I checked the hoses that are basically directly above the wires and noticed the clamps were loose so I tightened them a little, but so far that just seemed to make it worse...I've actually spotted small amounts from under the hood. Before anyone mentions the radiator or water pump, both are fairly new. Perhaps maybe there's a small hole somewhere in the hose or the plastic connector piece? It's just a little frustrating to discover dripping and see it coming off wires and not the hose itself...that doesn't seem to be a logical explanation to me. I'm planning on buying new hoses and another connector piece and changing them to see if that will help...if anyone has some other suggestions, feel free to share them. Thanks.

Plastic pieces fail all the time, so do clamps. Sometimes leaks are so small that they occure only then the cooling system is really under pressure. Start the car, open the hood and increase RPMs manually say up to 3000. Watch carefully the area where the drips come from. Chances are you'll see something (even a small fountain) coming from a connection or a plastic piece. Be careful ;)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Just got home now...the steaming was worse than ever and I spotted no dripping this time...I heard it, but could not find where it was coming from...the excess amount of steam appeared to be coming from a hose that was pretty far down in the hood...definitely would need to jack up the car to take a closer look at it. This situation continues to be quite frustrating...definitely sounded like the leak has started to pick up a little, but no significant loss of coolant. I suppose I could devote some time during the day or try to and see if I have any luck.

Are you talking about the small silicone hoses on the heater circuit? You said when you tightened the clamps it got worse so I think you found your culprit. I would replace those hoses. I don't know if these hoses are sold at the dealer but I would use OEM hoses as they are silicone hoses and they resist heat better. Furthermore, I personally am concerned with getting the exact size as the original.

Your car is 11 model years old now, I am sure those hoses gave it up... I am changing mine in my 9 model year old car before the warm weather comes..

You have not really mentioned the area of the coolant leak.

I have a '94 and both the metal coolant pipes that run behind the engine

(parallel with the rear head) were replaced about seven years ago.

They were very badly rusted.

One pipe literally broke into two pieces when I removed it.

Mine rusted out seven years ago.

Seems like a logical place to look.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

You have not really mentioned the area of the coolant leak.

I have a '94 and both the metal coolant pipes that run behind the engine

(parallel with the rear head) were replaced about seven years ago.

They were very badly rusted. 

One pipe literally broke into two pieces when I removed it.

Mine rusted out seven years ago.

Seems like a logical place to look.

Barry

This is so true, someone else just noted on another post that the water cooling tubing for their alternator was rusted through, I find that to be amazing with dexcool.

Found the problem...it was the plastic connector piece or valve if you will. After finding out for sure, the valve snapped right off the hose and I watched the coolant drip out and such. After being unable to pick up another one today (dealer had none of the parts in stock so they'll come in Thursday or Friday), I managed to sotter a few pieces of copper together to match the connector. I connected the hoses to the copper piece, threw the clamps on, let the car run, and so far it's been good...no leaking of any sort. So far, I'm glad this has worked and as long as it lasts until I get the parts, I guess all is well. I did check the metal pipes that were mentioned and they are indeed rusted, but nothing is coming out from them...I'll probably replace those eventually.

Found the problem...it was the plastic connector piece or valve if you will.  After finding out for sure, the valve snapped right off the hose and I watched the coolant drip out and such.  After being unable to pick up another one today (dealer had none of the parts in stock so they'll come in Thursday or Friday), I managed to sotter a few pieces of copper together to match the connector.  I connected the hoses to the copper piece, threw the clamps on, let the car run, and so far it's been good...no leaking of any sort.  So far, I'm glad this has worked and as long as it lasts until I get the parts, I guess all is well.  I did check the metal pipes that were mentioned and they are indeed rusted, but nothing is coming out from them...I'll probably replace those eventually.

Nice, post a picture of the part that broke, I can't picture it, is it part of the heater circuit? Wait don't you have a 4.9 in your Deville? You must be talking about the plastic T.... I am sorry, I forgot you had the 4.9!! Those silicone hoses I was talking about are on the Northstar, sorry I messed up, Mike

Yes I have the 4.9...sorry if I didn't mention that before. I keep forgetting to mention that I don't have the northstar. Also, yes it was the plastic T. Just glad to know that it's taken care of now. Also, over the past few days, I've been hearing some sort of a humming noise...it has gotten slightly louder with time and appears to be coming from the alternator or in that general viscinity. The noise is fairly quiet while I'm moving, but is a bit louder when I'm stopped or just idling...not sure what that's about, but right now it doesn't appear to be anything.

Archived