CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Coolant leaking

ronstone

It's leaking center front. I'm having difficulties trying to pinpoint exactly where it is leaking. Topping it off, it leaks before the end of the day. It leaks when the car is not running (or appears that way). The radiator looks intact, no visual leaks from under the hood. Underneath, not much visibility, but I can see where the coolant drips from the chassis.

What steps do forum readers recommend for troubleshooting coolant leaks on the 96 Concours?

Thanks,

Ron

Can you see the bottom of the radiator from under the car? If not, try removing some of the covering under there so you can get a good look at it. Not sure about yours, but on mine, there's plastic buttons that hold it on. They're reusable - well mostly......

Check the hoses where they connect to the rad. Can you see or feel a leak there? Fingers are great for feeling moisture in places you can't see. Try to get where you can see the bottom of the rad. Try to follow the trail of coolant from the place its dripping back to the source. The system will remain pressurized for a while after driving, so this sould give you an opportunity to look around.

Hope this helps.

I Just traced a coolant leak on my '99 STS.

I bought a radiator because that and the coolant line

to the alternator seemed most likely.

While I was removing the radiator, I realized the leak

was from the steel part of the coolant line to the

alternator. (The part of the line that the Caddy dealer

didn't mention, nor sell me.)

I ended up remaking the steel line by hand, It stopped

the leak. I couldn't find the leak ahead of time, the

line cracked in half when I tried to remove the rubber

hose attached to it. The steel line had rusted 'til

it rusted through!

Check out that line first...

You asked!...LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Ok. Horrible pictures I know. Ended up taking it to the dealer. Water pump cover and some other parts.

When I picked up the car, it was smoking. Lasted almost a week before I took it back (I called the same day, they told me to wait it out).

Now it's the radiator leaking. Unbelieveable.

Is this something I can do myself? Can someone point me to a thread or site with instructions? I don't want to pay the 780$ estimate to replace it. I can get the radiator from gmotors for 250 shipped. Now... how to change it...

Tks

OMG, yes, its an easy job to do, don't pay that amount of money. But, I would purchase an OEM radiator and I would purchase a pack of O-rings from the dealer for the oil cooler lines (and tranny if it is the same as my 91). Once you disturb the lines they will leak unless you replace the o-rings. Do it, you may need to purchase a couple of tools (in line wrench, etc) but hell it will be a lot cheaper.. Don't forget to use the cooling supplement tablets (buy at dealer see photo below)

Oh by the way, its common in my experience for the cooling system to leak in a secondary location when it is opened to do a water pump. Especially on aging systems. Don't ask me why, but I have seen this before. It may have been seeping all along. In your case the radiator has plastic tanks, maybe draining the system of coolant disturbed or dried out the cracks when the radiator was drained of water, but its not the dealers fault..

I probably jumped the gun---I might try the OEM coolant leak sealer tablets... GM Part # 3634621

I'll do a coolant drain and fill, and add the tablets at the lower hose.

If this doesn't resolve, I'll try the replacement.

Thanks Scotty.

Ron

Sorry here is the pic if the BARS brand, its the same as the AC Delco stuff you get at the dealer. If your radiator is in fact leaking from stress cracks and this fixes it, I would plan on a new or repaired radiator asap.. the warm weather is coming

post-3-1109876300_thumb.jpg

WITH reference to your new leak, a system will leak at its weakest point first, that was your water pump , Now once you have put a new pump on it is the strongest point in the system. The pressure now is exereted on the second weakest , spot if it is weak enough to not withstand the pressure, it springs a leak their, hince your radiator. If the second spot had been a hose it would have pushed through their. In a closed pressurized system , it is only as good as the weakest link.

Good point.

Thanks Gang. I'm about to go and try to place the Bars Leaks into the lower hose. I just need to figure out how to catch all the antifreeze when I take the hose off (I can feel the slight pressure).

Here's a quick pic of the GM version of the pellets. About to open them, and grind them up so I figured I take this snap. Will keep everyone posted.

post-3-1110055230_thumb.jpg

Archived