CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

MAF electrical problem solved

Jan Olsson

Hi all!

Yesterday I was going to drive my daughter to her grandparents so we went to the garage and I started the car, backed out and after shifting to drive and beginning to drive forward the car stalls.

Not good, no codes or clues what so ever to what the problem could be. I had to walk home again with my devastated daughter but my wife took her to see her grandparents by bus while I was home trying to figure out what was going on so she got happy anyway... I checked obvious things first since I just recently replaced the valve cover gaskets. I checked for vacuum leaks, connectors etc. But the nature of the stall got me thinking that I had a problem with the electrical system like an intermittent short or open. Finally it threw a code after I did some driving outside the garage (the occupants in the surrounding houses must have thought I was crazy just driving a couple of meters back and forth 10 times or so), P0102 which is related to the MAF. I checked the connections but the problem persisted. Finally I measured the voltage on the 12V supply line at the connector. And found that I have a broken wire just at the connector. There is nothing visible outside more than a kink on the wire. I see that Rock-Auto have them but I have e-mailed a junk yard to get me the connector and a couple of inches of the wiring left on so hopefully I have it by Tuesday.

If we didn’t have the possibility to check the codes so easily this could have been a real headache... The FSM is also a great helper when coming to diagnose electrical problems.

Good job Jan.   I have heard people say cars today are hard to work on and I couldn't disagree more, having codes directs you right to the problem.  

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I agree! How many times didn’t I scratch my head and wondered why the car isn't running as it should? There were constant carburetor adjustments, ignition system adjustments, troublesome automatic chokes and a constant fiddling with adjustment screws. No feedback or aid in help finding the real problem there.

After I've sold my troublesome Jaguar Super V8 I'm in the market for a good daily driver. Since the Jag has been a huge disappointment and cost me a great deal of money (I think my Jag is best described as “bottomless money pit”, “waste of space”, “darn nuisance” and POS) I'm in for an inexpensive daily driver. It's always good to have two cars if you do the work by yourself and the STS has 180k miles on it and will likely need some love and r&r in the near future due to age and miles.  I thought about the STS-V but they are extremely rare over here. The CTS-V is a bit too expensive and the standard CTS, although a nice looking car, does not give me the "must have" feeling. The last STS on the other hand do, and although they are rare they are really affordable. A fully loaded STS with the Northstar engine would suffice ;)

Archived