CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

CTS 2.8L

joeb

how similar is the 2.8 motor versus the 3.6? are they like the chevy 305 vs. 350? different boreXstroke or is it a big difference? I figure it is typical GM option tricks to get more money out of people. I would bet both motors cost the same to make but since the 3.6 is "better" they charge a premium for it.

not what i was looking for. how about a bit more technical details. is the 2.8 a 4-cam, 24 valve motor? aluminum block? Its not like I'm planning on buying a 2.8 and than swapping out the 2.8 short block for a 3.6. I just want a little more info. putting a northstar in a CTS does sound nice though.

• 1 year later...

how similar is the 2.8 motor versus the 3.6? are they like the chevy 305 vs. 350? different boreXstroke or is it a big difference? I figure it is typical GM option tricks to get more money out of people. I would bet both motors cost the same to make but since the 3.6 is "better" they charge a premium for it.

The engines are nearly identical in every reapect except for bore and stroke which are both proportionaly reduced in the 2.8. One oddity is the power and torque curves are not quite identically reduced. While the torque is proportiantely less in the 2.8, the horsepower is higher then a direct proportional reduction would indicate.

In addition, both torque peak and hp peak in the 2.8 are at higher rpms. Accordingly, the 2.8 has a slightly higher specific output per unit of displacement. It must incorporate slightly different camshaft profile/vvt parameters?

CTS 2.8L sport? how can the lowly 2.8 come with a sport package? is there a 3.6 sport package or is the 3.6 just available as a luxury model? I always wonder why people buy a brand new car and pay big bucks and not get every option or at least the biggest motor if it is available? i would love a new CTS, don't get me wrong, but why not get the big motor?

The Y42 17" wheel sport package is available either on the 2.8L or 3.6L CTS:

17" Wheel Sport Package, includes (TT6) Xenon, High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps, (QWW) P225/50R17 W-rated, all-season, blackwall tires, (P46) 17" (43.2 cm) high-polished aluminum wheels, (G80) limited slip differential, (JL4) StabiliTrak and (FE2) 4-wheel independent suspension

1 - Available with (Y40) 2.8L V6 Luxury Package. (QWW) P225/50R17 W-rated, all-season, blackwall tires and (P46) 17" (43.2 cm) high -polished aluminum wheels will replace (QWJ) P225/55R16 H-rated, all-season, blackwall tires and (PX0) 16" (40.6 cm) bright machined-finish aluminum wheels when (Y42) 17" Wheel Sport Package is ordered.

2 - Available with (Y41) 3.6L V6 Luxury Package. Not available with (Y43) 3.6L V6 18" Wheel Performance Package or (R1Y) 3.6L V6 18" Wheel Sport Appearance Package. (QWW) P225/50R17 W-rated, all-season, blackwall tires and (P46) 17" (43.2 cm) high-polished aluminum wheels will replace (QWJ) P225/55R16 H-rated, all-season, blackwall tires and (PX0) 16" (40.6 cm) bright machined-finish aluminum wheels when (Y42) 17" Wheel Sport Package is ordered.

Not to be confused by the 3.6L Sport model, which I believe is this R1Y option package that includes rocker panels and grill:

3.6L V6 18" Wheel Sport Appearance Package, includes (Y43) 3.6L V6 18" Wheel Performance Package, (B56) Sport rocker moldings (NDB) chrome exhaust tips, (P40) 18" (45.7 cm) Sport, 12-spoke, polished aluminum wheels, (TL4) Sport grille with chrome mesh accents, (T43) rear spoiler and (VGE) custom rear body-color fascia

1 - (P40) 18" (45.7 cm) Sport, 12-spoke polished aluminum wheels replace (N87) 18" (45.7 cm) 9-spoke polished aluminum wheels in (Y43) when (R1Y) is ordered. Not available with (UAV) AM/FM stereo with 6-disc in-dash CD changer and DVD-based navigation, (PDB) California CTS Luxury Package or (Y42) 17" Wheel Sport Package

or the R1Y 18" Wheel performance package, also only available with the 3.6L:

3.6L V6 18" Wheel Performance Package, includes (TT6) Xenon, High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps, (QGQ) P225/50R18 W-rated, performance tires, (N87) 18" (45.7 cm) 9-spoke, polished aluminum wheels, (JE5) performance brakes, (G80) limited slip differential, (JL4) StabiliTrak, (FE5) Performance handling suspension and (UJ6) Tire Pressure Monitor System

1 - Included in (R1Y) 3.6L V6 18" Wheel Sport Appearance Package. (P40) 18" (45.7 cm) Sport, 12-spoke polished aluminum wheels replace (N87) 18" (45.7 cm) 9-spoke polished aluminum wheels in (Y43) when (R1Y) is ordered. Available with (Y41) 3.6L V6 Luxury Package. (QGQ) P225/50R18 W-rated performance tires and (N87) 18" (45.7 cm) 9-spoke polished aluminum wheels replace (QWJ) P225/55R16 H-rated, all-season blackwall tires and (PX0) 16" (40.6 cm) bright machined-finish aluminum wheels in (Y41) when (Y43) is ordered. Not available with (UAV) AM/FM stereo with 6-disc in-dash CD changer and DVD-based navigation.

Not everyone wants or needs the largest engine option. I think the 3.6L engine is a great match up for the CTS, but choice is good if that is one of the choices.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

CTS 2.8L sport? how can the lowly 2.8 come with a sport package? is there a 3.6 sport package or is the 3.6 just available as a luxury model? I always wonder why people buy a brand new car and pay big bucks and not get every option or at least the biggest motor if it is available? i would love a new CTS, don't get me wrong, but why not get the big motor?

I test drove three models before buying the 2.8 auto. First, a 3.6 auto with sport package and all the other bells and whistles. For comparisons sake, I then test drove a 2.8 auto, then a 2.8 six speed. I had the 3.6 for an entire weekend and drove the living bejeezes out of it in my local mountain area. I was VERY impressed with the handling, but not with the engine.

What was wrong with the engine, you might ask. Certainly not power. I had it easily up to 125 mph in my tests. However, the exhaust note was absolutely prehistoric. Maybe OK for an Impala SS, but this is a BMW/Mercedes contender! One drive around the block (petal to the metal) and the sweet 2.8 became my logical choice because I really really use my engines, and don't like gringing at 6,000 rpm.

Further, I did not like the look of the deluxe interior with the wood surround on the center stack. Also, the short piece of wood on top of the steering wheel is a real no no for agressive driving. Cost and weight are always an issue. Accordingly, I insisted on sitting in the baseline seats for a test and found them better looking and more comfortable then the 76 way adjustable leather versions. I have seldom found blow-up seats superior to good normal ones.

As for the six speed manual? I really like driving a good manual and have had many. I still have one of the best in my garage in a 1965 Corvair Monza Convertible - one of the most statisfying ever. The Subaru WRX I once test drove was great, and my 1984 Z-28 HO was nice. However, the Caddy six speed was the absolute worst I ever drove. My 1974 Vega had better. In addition to HUGE driveline snatch in first, the spacing was unnatural.

NOW MY REVIEW OF THE 2.8!!

Ok, Ok, I sort of was buying a grocery getter, and a long range trip replacement for my aging 1991 Lincoln Mark VII hot rod (Kenne Bell supercharger and "Nascar Suspension"). It has 190,000 hot rod miles on it and small things, like the fuel pump, are now going bad at inoportune times. But this little CTS was a surprise.

First the engine. I swear it gets stronger every day, and with higher octane fuel as well (an advertised feature on the 3.6). The other day I had it up to 130 mph and it was still pulling before I had to lift for traffic. The manumatic is the best domestic one I have driven, and can lock 2nd and power drift happily around the plentiful hairpin curves here abouts.

And it sounds like an engine that BELONGS in a refined and ellegant car, right up to the 6775 rpm shift point (and fuel cut off). I will get some number at the track, but based on my butt feel I expect to get in the low 15s at perhaps 90mph. Maybe that is optomistic, but it FEELS like that. (The Mark VII does 14.5 @ 96mph).

Which brings me to appearance. The basic grey seats nicely compliment the basic black and gey interior, and IMHO, is the most elegant of all the available interiors, though the stitching quality could be improved. I choose "Sunset Blue" which just adds to the understated elegance. The dealer had the car parked up by his office and said people really liked the look and speculated it must be about $40,000 car, what with its nice shiny performance wheels ($32,000 flat out the door).

Before delivery I purchased billet aluminum grill and chrome accent peices that I will now return to the vendor as garish. The only improvement I made was to steam off the dealer and CTS logos on the back, and replace the chrome license surround to flat black, all to reduce clutter.

So, instead of a grocery getter I sort of have an elegant four door Miata. I just don't get Miata fuel economy. This is no Malibu (a buddy gets 38mpg on transcontinental trips with the 3.5). I never ever expect to exceed 30. In fact, with my driving style I get in the high teens local driving. With luck, 26 on trips.

There you have it! THHHHHats AL, folks!

Archived