CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

12 disk CD player, CD won't eject back into the cartridge.

brmurph

1998 Deville with the Delco 12 disk cd exchanger.    I have it apart and it is hooked up to 12 volts for bench testing.  I can tell that there are a couple of levers that are suppose to push the CD off the optical and back onto the CD tray, the levers seem to be working fine but the CD gets stuck and I have to help the levers with my finger to get the CD to go back into the tray and then to the cartridge (works fine if I do this but not practical once it is back together :-)..  So either these levers (springs) are getting weak (which I don't think is the case) or for some reason the CD is getting stuck to something when it is out of the tray and being read by the optical.   The problem happens every time (not intermittent).    

Anyone still familiar with these old units that has run into this before?   

Are the trays inserted correctly? Not binding in the cartridge? 

Inside the changer you will see a plate with rod(s) sticking through that move in the hole. Sometimes a little white lithium will help them move better

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

51 minutes ago, rockfangd said:

Are the trays inserted correctly? Not binding in the cartridge? 

Inside the changer you will see a plate with rod(s) sticking through that move in the hole. Sometimes a little white lithium will help them move better

Pretty sure the trays are inserted correctly, its been a while since I have used it but I am following the arrows into the cartridge and everything seems smooth, I have two cartridges and they are both doing the same thing.  The trays and cartridge themselves are working as expected, it is the CD that won't let loose from the optic on ejection or while moving to the next disk (it will try to load two disk to the optic because the first one did not drop back to the tray).   One thing I just noticed is that the optical does finally release the CD but it is after the cartridge (and tray/trays) are ejected from the player.  It seems to let go of the CD when it wants and not when the tray needs it :-(.

Never mind. I messed up the elevator (at least that is what I am going to call it) so it won't really work at all now. So now the question is does anyone have any recommendations for an MP3 player that will plug and play into the CD cable in the trunk?

there is. I have contemplated something. Check Isimple.com. Or look on  ebay for that name. believe it runs around 60.00

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Thanks rockfangd.  I have reviewed the isimple a little and I guess I should go ahead and try it but with no feed back (like name of the song or artist)  from the ipod to the head unit it would seem a little comber sum if you had a lot of music loaded on the ipod.  Apparently some hook the isimple to the head unit itself and then keep the ipod in the vehicle with them which would allow you to view the screen and even control from the ipod if you wanted (at least that is my understanding).     Is this also your understanding on how it works?

Archived