CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

fuel injecters

carltonmat

Do you have any diagnostic codes?

I believe you can enter the diagnostic mode by simultaneously pressing and holding down the Climate Control panel OFF and WARM buttons. I don't know your car so I hope I'm giving you the right information.

Yep, turn the ignition on and press simultaneously Warmer and Off for a few seconds until codes show up on the driver information center. Take them down.

The codes looke like, say ECM 026.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Do you know for a fact that fuses have blown? Because I have the GM Service Manual for 94' and it states that blown fuses in the 4.9L can indicate a short to ground at certain fuel injector circuits. I assume the 91' 4.9L will still be the same in 94'. You may have a voltage drop in certain fuel injectors caused by a shorted fuel injector harness. I'm just throwing out some food for thought based on what the Service Manual states as a possible cause. Again, have you actually replaced blown fuses?

yes twice in two monthes, i just reinstalled all the injectes today.

the store,

i bought the car for two hundred. the owner before slid it into a curb and thought it was totaled. but only need a new strute. it ran great for three monthes and then it begain.

the service maniual says what to try?

thanks for the help so far

The Manual has 6 pages of diagnostics instructions. The bottom line is that a fuel injector test should be done to determine if the injectors are pulsing within specs. Any injector that is more than 2 psi from the others is faulty and needs to be replaced. Idle quality should get worse if an injector is disabled.

Next Question: Which fuse blew? Was it Fuse A5 and/or Fuse A7. The engine compartment fuse block will indicate which fuse.

Fuse A5 is for injectors 2, 3, 5, and 8.

Fuse A7 is for injectors 1, 4, 6, and 7.

a7 the first time when i moved the injectes it moved to a5. i moved them to see if it was wireing or injecter. so i think it is injector, because it moved from one cirect to the other. that make sence. how do you test the injecters. it has to be one to the four.

thanx, again

There is a procedure outlined in the GM Manual for checking injector flow through the computer (PCM) but it’s somewhat complicated. Based upon the results there are instructions to continue or to move on to another procedure. Eventually, the procedure leads to an answer. Below is an example of the start of the procedure:

1. Key ‘OFF’

2. Install J34730 Fuel Pressure gage

3. Key ‘ON’ Enter Diagnostics

4. Jumper Fuel Pump Prime Connector to battery voltage for 5 seconds to energize fuel pump to build fuel pressure

5. Select the PCM override PS10 (Injector Flow)

6. Press ‘Cooler’ Button until desired injector is selected

7. Press ‘Warmer’ Button -- note gage and record pressure drop on chart; repeat above for all 8 injectors.

It would seem that you are probably right that you have a faulty injector(s) somewhere. It's possible that you could have a faulty injector harness. But, again, since the problem jumped from fuse A5 to A7 after moving the injectors, it would seem likely that you have a faulty injector(s). It's just a matter of narrowing it down to which one(s) and replacing it/them.

By the way, GM Service Manuals are on sale for $30.00 plus shipping. Click on the link below for details:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4748

I bought my 94' Service Manual through Helms. It was a great buy as it was about $100.00 prior to the sale.

• 2 weeks later...

Your car sat for 6 years didn't it? I wonder if its possible that someone used injector cleaner and the solution sat on your injectors for 6 years dissolving the wire insulation, just a though. If they are drawing too much current, that could be the reason you are blowing fuses...

Archived