CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Slippery Going

JasonA

For those of you who don't subscribe to Car & Driver, I thought I'd retype this letter they received. They awarded it their "best letter" of the month distinction. With all the converstion we have on this board regarding our oil life monitors, I thought this was remotely relevant:

"In this column, In this centry, changing your oil still matters [C/D, December 2004], Csaba Csere is correct that cars today can go for 5000, 6000, or 7000 miles between changes, especially on synthetic oil. But nobody does! We hear the same message -- 'Change your oil every 3000 miles!' -- over and over, from quick-lube shops to car dealers and TV ads. Why? They want to sell you oil, and they've made drivers afraid to wait. I've worked as a repair tech at a large GM dealer for many years, and most owners ignore the oil-life monitor systems. I often drain $7-a-quart synthetic oil out of cars whose oil monitors indicate 75-to-80 percent life remaining. And you know where that oil goes? Into my car.

D.E.B. - Indianapolis, Indiana"

:lol:

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

HAHA :D ! Thanks for the laugh! My oil life monitor is sitting around 85. I don't plan to change the oil until it is around 20 or so.

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Flowmaster 80 series muffler :D

I could, but I love the look of the oil coming out of the little hole, haha :lol: !

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Flowmaster 80 series muffler :D

You folks obviously don't "drive" your cars like they should be driven! The wife has got the use of her former bosses company car lately, as her boss was fired. So I have had the STS for the last 2-1/2 months, and it ends next Monday. I reset the info center and have averaged 13.8 MPG and I am at 27% oil life left after a change 2800 miles ago. I use Mobile 1 but I drive it like you are supposed to! The wife just drove it last week, for the first time in a month. Her comment was simply "what did you do to my car, it acts like you did one of your performance things to it"! No more cold rap, nothing out of the exhaust, and less oil consumption, the latter of which has always been my responsibility to monitor. Beat it hard, maintain it to the utmost, and buy the 3/3000 insurance policy. If you can't afford oil, take the bus to work! By the way, the car my wife was driving was a DTS. I plan on driving it before she has to return it. If you own a NS Caddy, give it what you have given every car you've owned before, frequent oil changes. It can't hurt, and I am sure in most cases that this is one of the best cars you have ever driven. You finally got a good car, and you are going cheap on the most basic of maintenance? If that is the case, go buy a Ford or a RX-8!

95 etc 140k

Many of us 'folks' do drive it to the max. I wot from start to freeway speeds every opportunity, and that is usually many times daily. One freeway entrance i frequent i can an do 0 to 80 before merging and its a 20% grade uphill. if there is traffic ahead i wait a while to let them get out of the way. cause if they are even 75% of the way to the merge they will still be in my way.

if you enlarge the 'avatar' pic, that is on i80 near the bonniville flat exit, ran out of gas after turing off on a remote utah road and ran it up to 125. used too much gas in that little run to make it to the next station on the i/state (which was a fer piece).

i change the oil per the dic, rarely need to add any between changes, no burning, no carbon rapping. change your oil as much as you want. i have found that bbobynski and his colleages built a good system and it tells you when the oil should be changed and it is right and i fully expect to double the current milage.

again ... change you oil all you want, but don't tell me/us that we aren't driving our ns's right.

kind regards!

So I have had the STS for the last 2-1/2 months, and it ends next Monday. I reset the info center and have averaged 13.8 MPG and I am at 27% oil life left after a change 2800 miles ago.

If driving fast gets you your jollies, that's great. The only thing you've really done is used about twice as much fuel as I have, and gone through the oil life about twice as fast as I would have. If you had fun doing it, I guess that's all that counts. :rolleyes: Should I apologize that my commute to work is a fairly easy 20-mile jaunt through the Fort Bragg military reservation, usually with a bunch of other people going to work at the same time as me, in the 45-55 mph range? Should I apologize to you if I don't WOT the car everywhere I go because there are usually soldiers training along side the road and crossing the road at various intersections? Just because someone might not waste gas as quickly as you doesn't mean they don't drive their car right. My '97 has 141,000 miles, the engine has never been opened, it uses about a quart/5000 miles, gets 20/30 mpg city/highway, it's ALWAYS been filled with either Valvoline or Pennzoil with an AC-Delco oil filters, and I've never had any "cold carbon rap". So pardon me for not driving my car the way you drive yours, but don't tell me that I'm "driving it wrong" because I'd say the service and reliability and experience I've had from this Seville has been very "right".

again ... change you oil all you want, but don't tell me/us that we aren't driving our ns's right.

kind regards!

That's exactly what I was thinking after reading styes post. Heck change the oil after 1000 miles.....couldn't hurt right??? Or how about 500 miles just to be sure. In all the oil changes I've had/done whether at 3000 or 6000 or even the haha occassional 7-8000(mineral oil) I've never once had oil drained that was critically expired or even close. Sure the oil was darker but that just indicates that it's doing its job properly.

As far as not driving the N* "like they should be driven" wow that takes balls to say that on a site like this. This being a Cadillac "enthusiast" site and all. :lol:

With 4 snow tires on I have to forgo the WOT sessions this time of year. Not that I don't try once in awhile but she gets all squirrelly with the soft snow tires. So I do the occassional 50-60mph drive in 2nd gear routine. Here's a pic of my winter setup. Winter Caddy

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

You folks obviously don't "drive" your cars like they should be driven! The wife has got the use of her former bosses company car lately, as her boss was fired. So I have had the STS for the last 2-1/2 months, and it ends next Monday.  I reset the info center and have averaged 13.8 MPG and I am at 27% oil life left after a change 2800 miles ago. I use Mobile 1 but I drive it like you are supposed to! The wife just drove it last week, for the first time in a month. Her comment was simply "what did you do to my car, it acts like you did one of your performance things to it"! No more cold rap, nothing out of the exhaust, and less oil consumption, the latter of which has always been my responsibility to monitor. Beat it hard, maintain it to the utmost, and buy the 3/3000 insurance policy. If you can't afford oil, take the bus to work! By the way, the car my wife was driving was a DTS. I plan on driving it before she has to return it. If you own a NS Caddy, give it what you have given every car you've owned before, frequent oil changes. It can't hurt, and I am sure in most cases that this is one of the best cars you have ever driven. You finally got a good car, and you are going cheap on the most basic of maintenance? If that is the case, go buy a Ford or a RX-8!

WOW! DITTO! Plus we are dynasaurs and LOVE to get our hands dirty every 3,000 miles as its a must to just get under the hood and look around for other 'issues'. My last oil change I waited till my monitor read 0% because it was cold and I felt really uncomfortable :unsure: But since I put in 3 quarts during this oil change cycle, I thought it balanced out, YEA, keep using OIL! :blink:

My My we are getting testy..... :lol: Is there a full moon somewhere in this quadrant?

Hey I will be the first to admit I drive like a wimp but don't TAILGATE my butt, or ye will raise my irish!

I have been known to change my oil and filter before I LEAVE on vacation, and then change the oil and filter again WHEN I GET THERE, and then change it when I get BACK!!!! IMHO doing that while running a 1,200 mile round trip at high speed in JULY is a great way to flush your engine, but hey thats me I am a kook!

We all may be different but we all drive Cadillac's and if we all got together for a beer THAT would be the bond

If the oil has been used for a while it is full of carbon,acids and unburnt fuel from blow-by therefore impeding the lubrication properties of the oil and causing more wear. Also it causes the problem of it turning to sludge in the engine which really hampers lubrication. I wouldn't say that it is that big of a problem but changing your oil at closer intervals is cheap insurance. I must admit that there have been a few time that I have let the oil get a bit "past it's prime" though :D

If you "drive it hard" the oil life monitor will pick up on that and adjust the oil life accordingly.....follow the oil life monitor recommendations. It is far more sophisticated than you give it credit for.

Guru, what items does the oil monitor survey? I would imagine, trip running time, oil temp, water temp, average speed, rpm, anything else? Thanks

You folks obviously don't "drive" your cars like they should be driven! The wife has got the use of her former bosses company car lately, as her boss was fired. So I have had the STS for the last 2-1/2 months, and it ends next Monday. I reset the info center and have averaged 13.8 MPG and I am at 27% oil life left after a change 2800 miles ago. I use Mobile 1 but I drive it like you are supposed to! The wife just drove it last week, for the first time in a month. Her comment was simply "what did you do to my car, it acts like you did one of your performance things to it"! No more cold rap, nothing out of the exhaust, and less oil consumption, the latter of which has always been my responsibility to monitor. Beat it hard, maintain it to the utmost, and buy the 3/3000 insurance policy. If you can't afford oil, take the bus to work! By the way, the car my wife was driving was a DTS. I plan on driving it before she has to return it. If you own a NS Caddy, give it what you have given every car you've owned before, frequent oil changes. It can't hurt, and I am sure in most cases that this is one of the best cars you have ever driven. You finally got a good car, and you are going cheap on the most basic of maintenance? If that is the case, go buy a Ford or a RX-8!

I disagree. Why waist oil? My car has 204,000 miles on it... I run it down to 0% and then change it. You look under the dictionary of "drive it like you stole it" you would see me. Car runs like a champ. Burns 1/2QT every 5000-6000 miles.

This whole thought of if it worked well in the past then it will work well now is stupid. Technology has changed and people's beliefs should too. If you change it every 3000 miles please go buy the cheap pepboys brand oil and stop wasting the good stuff the rest of use use...

But then again... now that I think of it... Oil has an unlimited supply like oxygen... so yea, go ahead and waist it. I mean the people who design these cars have less than a High School education (unlike most drivers with their masters or PHD) and just like writing guidelines down cause they love to put pen to paper for no other reason but to run the supply of ink out....

Was that too cynical?

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

I believe that the people who designed the car knew what they were doing. I use the oil monitor. That's what it is there for. It is cool, it works, and you paid for it on a modern auto. My bro-in-law is one of them guys who thinks that any car manufactured after 1968 is junk. ( he is a great guy) but for my money the new cars are MUCH less work and have astounding performance. As much as I like working on my fun old car I really appreciate the work that went into designing a modern car that takes less maintenence and that makes diagnosing problems much easier. I must admit that I am getting over my fear of looking into a TOTALLY filled engine compartment. The days of being able to get into the engine compartment yourself in order to work on it are gone, but thats OK. And driving your car for kicks with respect for others is A-OK with me.

My bro-in-law is one of them guys who thinks that any car manufactured after 1968 is junk. ( he is a great guy) but for my money the new cars are MUCH less work and have astounding performance. As much as I like working on my fun old car I really appreciate the work that went into designing a modern car that takes less maintenence and that makes diagnosing problems much easier. I must admit that I am getting over my fear of looking into a TOTALLY filled engine compartment. The days of being able to get into the engine compartment yourself in order to work on it are gone, but thats OK. And driving your car for kicks with respect for others is A-OK with me.

Dear lord, how did your brother get to that assumption?? :D I think it's much easier (and less $$) to work on older cars and power wise new cars are just getting back to decent power levels.

If you "drive it hard" the oil life monitor will pick up on that and adjust the oil life accordingly.....follow the oil life monitor recommendations. It is far more sophisticated than you give it credit for.

I wish I could follow the oil life monitor... I usually have to change mine at around 40%-50% remaining due to warranty requirements...

:rolleyes:

If you "drive it hard" the oil life monitor will pick up on that and adjust the oil life accordingly.....follow the oil life monitor recommendations.  It is far more sophisticated than you give it credit for.

I wish I could follow the oil life monitor... I usually have to change mine at around 40%-50% remaining due to warranty requirements...

:rolleyes:

Could you explain this? Warranty requirements?

BuickLeSabre1960 Posted on Feb 1 2005, 08:32 PM

Dear lord, how did your brother get to that assumption??

Roger that!!!. I'd much rather wotk on my 1970 Trans Am than this STS. For starters; I can see all the spark plugs and easily change them. Can't say that with the STS. I didn't say it couldn't be done (STS), I'm saying it's just not as easy!

Jim

BuickLeSabre1960 Posted on Feb 1 2005, 08:32 PM

Dear lord, how did your brother get to that assumption??

Roger that!!!. I'd much rather wotk on my 1970 Trans Am than this STS. For starters; I can see all the spark plugs and easily change them. Can't say that with the STS. I didn't say it couldn't be done (STS), I'm saying it's just not as easy!

Jim

Yeah, it's alot easier to change the sparkplugs out on my car than the cadillac. But my brothers catalina, I hate replacing them. 7 of them are easy to get out but that last one I hate. The a/c compressor & bracket is right over it so you can't even see it let alone get to it :wacko:

Could you explain this? Warranty requirements?

He probably has an aftermarket warranty that requires receipts of oil changes every 3000 miles or they don't cover engine damages.

Archived