CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Stuck Brake Rotor

jackc

You may have to damage this one to get it off. I don't know of any secrets other than heating it with a torch around the center, and a BIG hammer. Just try not to damage anything else.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I have had this happen a few times and its not easy. I would soak the hell out of it over night with some type of high quality penetrating fluid. turn the wheel hard and use a block of wood to protect the rotor and a heavy hammer and rap the inside of the rotor turning it after every few hits. I am not sure why this happens you would think it should fall right off.

quite frankly given how cheap rotors are these days, I might bang right on the inside of the rotor face metal to metal and buy a new rotor when it finally gives in....

JohnnyG is right on. I just had the same problem with a neighbors car. Even a "Blue Tip Hammer" (oxy/acetelene torch) did not work. I then tried a 5 lb mallet. No luck. This baby was really rusted on. I had to get out the heavy artillary, a "BFH" (10 lb sledge hammer). I had to really lay into it . Needless to say it was rendered usless for any thing other than a weight. Fortunately it was getting replaced any way.

I think the cause is too tight of a tollerance between the hub & rotor. A little anti-sieze around the contact point of the hub and the rotor will prevent it from happening again.

Archived