CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Low Charing Rate

Scotty

Sorry the subject should read, Low Charging Rate! :blink:

I notice that when it rains and I have my wipers, daytime lights, high fan, rear defroster on, when I come to a light the blower slows down and when I look at the charging voltage its 12.0, I suppose this is normal, but does this sound right? Once I pull away from the light the charging rate increases and all is fine.

Hi Scotty,

There is a possibility that you have one or more problems. The first thing that I would do would be to check the battery voltage after sitting all night. It should be at least 12.7 or above. Then with the DIC still in the voltage mode, I sould start the car and watch the voltage. If it goes immediately into the high 13's, I would say that it is battery time. You can go to a store like AutoZone and they can check it right in the car. If your battery is over a year old, I would have it checked.

If the voltage dosen't get out of the 12's then you likely have an alternator problem. Less likely would be a higher than normal current draw from one of the accessories that you are running.

The "problem" with the computer controlled ignition and fuel injection is that they start so easily that your battery can get really bad before you notice a problem. With the Northstar, driveability problems will start to appear if the voltage gets to low. Be sure to check your serpentine belt tensioner. It could be allowing the belt to slip. That is rare, but a possibility.

Let us know what you find.

Take Care,

Britt

Britt

Scotty, don't rush to change the battery. It cranks engine fine, right? So terminals are fine too. I measured the voltage of my battery and it is 12.52V and the battery is one years old. I don't have any problem like you do. I think 12.7V that's kinda high (sorry navion :) ). The simptoms really looks like if serpentine belt tensioner, like navion mentioned.

Of course because of that the battery can be a bit off charge too. The best think is to charge battery in a garage and check the belt tensioner and belt itself (is it possible that a bit oil gets on it and it's slippery?

Scotty, don't rush to change the battery. It cranks engine fine, right? So terminals are fine too. I measured the voltage of my battery and it is 12.52V and the battery is one years old. I don't have any problem like you do. I think 12.7V that's kinda high (sorry navion :) ). The simptoms really looks like if serpentine belt tensioner, like navion mentioned.

Of course because of that the battery can be a bit off charge too. The best think is to charge battery in a garage and check the belt tensioner and belt itself (is it possible that a bit oil gets on it and it's slippery?

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that I have bypassed my blown compressor with a short serp belt? I also have a replacement tensioner in my garage. I will get out in the garage tomorrow and look it over, Thanks

Mike, I don't think anything is wrong with your charging system. When you have all those accessories on and are just idling, there is a lot of load on the system.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Mike, I don't think anything is wrong with your charging system. When you have all those accessories on and are just idling, there is a lot of load on the system.

Thanks Kevin

Archived