CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

No Gas Pedal??

phillydude

Hey kids... I've been offlist for a while. Glad to be back... with a question.

Took the '94 STS to Manhattan over the weekend. There's a cool larger-than-life display of the new '05 STS on Times Square right now... it's as big as a house!

Anyway, I had the misfortune of valet parking my car at the hotel, and when they brought it back, it had a flat tire on the passenger side rear. Of course, "not their fault... blahblahblah."

So I got down on my knees and changed it for the donut spare. Tire pressure on the mini-tire was low, but I figured there was enough to get me to a gas station to fill it to the proper inflation levels (60 pounds! That's a lot of air in a small tire!)

Got back into the car, and low and behold, no action on the gas pedal. Felt like it was disconnected altogether, just hanging loose. I fiddled with it for a minute and it sort of clicked back into place, and everything was fine (and has been fine since). But it still got me to thinking what might have happened.

I'm guessing that there is some kind of safety mechanism which disengages the gas pedal to keep from accidentally putting power to the rear axle while a tire change is being performed (if you were careless enough to leave the car running)? How would that work? When you put the car on the jack? When you take off the tire/rim? Or (my guess) when the wheel is spun (as happens when you loosen/tighten the lug nuts)? Or was this a totally unrelated problem with the gas pedal that I need to worry about?

Any input or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

YO philly dude,

I can't believe your post got moved to the "weird or off topic" section. We are two cadillac fans on this board and it's funny that we can't say hi to each other....

Anyways,

This happened to me, from the sounds of it, it will only get worse. Mine did the exact same thing, it would disengage and then i would pull it back and it would "click" back into place. what happend to mine was, and it only takes 5 minutes to check it out...The accelerator cable has a clip on the end of it to keep it connected to the top of the gas pedal, this clip probably broke, it did on mine. Eventually, it will come undone all the way. take those two hex screws out of the panel by the gas pedal with the courtesy light in it, get a flash light and jam your head underthere and you can see the cable and the clip. Hope this helps. BTW, i just cleaned up the broken piece and fixed it with a wire tie so it wouldnt come out again.

Chris

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

I'm guessing that there is some kind of safety mechanism which disengages the gas pedal to keep from accidentally putting power to the rear axle while a tire change is being performed (if you were careless enough to leave the car running)?

Power to the rear axle? It's a FWD. I agree with Adallak & Chris, totally unrelated. Probably some mechanical disengagement caused by the valet trying to put his foot though the floor board.

Archived