CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Picture of serp-belt tensioner

Psycho

Hi

i have to change the serp-belt of my 95 STS.

After 2 days of deliverytime (realy superb for Germany) i now have the belt and the idler and tensioner pulley.

Now i need one thing to know:

Is there a picture somewhere with the description of the tensioner ?

I have the original Cadilllac manual and in volume 1 6B2-4 there is the discription when the belt has to be changed, but no picture.

Can anyone help ?

regards Eckhard ;)

Psycho.gif

243728.png LPG

Hi

i have this one, too.

So when the mark is next to the small edge (in the picture left) the belt is worn ?

Thank you for the fast reply !!

Eckhard ;)

Psycho.gif

243728.png LPG

Sorry I did not see that you were looking for a photo of that indicator, I read this, "Is there a picture somewhere with the description of the tensioner" and scaned that photo out of my manual. I have a photo of the range indicator in my 91 manual but not the 96, I think bbobynski has you covered with this.. Mike

Hi

i think that is all i need to know.

Yes, the car has nearly 100kmiles.

The surface is cracked and it makes noise.

I think the pulleys are worn, so i bought them with the belt (idler and tensioner).

The surface shows the same cracks than the one of my LTD Country Squire, that i owned a few years ago.

While changing the belt, i will inspect the alignement of the power steering pump.

Thanks again !

regards Eckhard :)

Psycho.gif

243728.png LPG

Hi

there is only one thing you realy need to have, if you are planing to change the belt:

realy small hands.

It took me ybout 25min. to change it.

But before i started, i thought about 5-10 min.

Realy funny routing, but the noise is gone, the new belt is shorter (the old one was about 10mm longer after 100kmiles), and there is no "jumping" of the tensioner any more.

The old one has several cracks and lost some realy big pieces.

Regards Eckhard :D

Psycho.gif

243728.png LPG

can you give a walk thru on how to swap the belt and  tensioner?

thanx

Nothing to be worried sick about, its quite easy, just remove the serp belt, find the correct preferrably deep socket, remove the bolt and the tensioner will come straight off. Then just reverse the process. I looked in my 91 and 96 manuals for tightening torque and could find nothing, but I think 30 Ft Lbs should be OK... Maybe someone else knows that answer..its also possible that the new tensioner will have the torque requirement. Mike

By the way, refer to the diagram above that I posted, you remove the serp belt by inserting a 1/2 breaker bar or ratchet (with short extension) in the square key hole (see above), and releasing the tension and remove the belt from the power steering pump, glance at the routing before hand, but there should be a schematic somewhere under your hood to reroute it. They actually make specialized tools for this but the breaker bar or ratchet works.

Reinstalling it can be frustrating but take you time start from the bottom and work your way up, putting the power steering pulley on last as you hold the tensioner. Mike

The picture on how to run the belt is on the car under the hood. You can only run it one way no matter what you do. The smooth surfaces always meet. The Grooved always meet. I always made sure it was around the tensioner and did a pully on top as last.

The sticker that explains the routing is just black and white .

By the way I used a Gatorback belt that has slits in the groves. It makes even less noise.

Mike .

The picture on how to run the belt is on the car under the hood. You can only run it one way no matter what you do. The smooth surfaces always meet. The Grooved always meet. I always made sure it was around the tensioner and did a pully on top as last.

The sticker that explains the routing is just black and white .

By the way I used a Gatorback belt that has slits in the groves. It makes even less noise.

Mike .

Yes I have the Gatorback belt also! Its suppose to be 10 db quieter... Here is the routing diagram from my 1996 Deville, Seville, Eldo service manual, Mike

post-3-1105834885.jpg

What does the noise sound like? I may have the same problem theres an annoying squeaking noise that comes from the left side of the engine and it only does it when the engine is cold and if it sits for a while! What could be causeing this?

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

What does the noise sound like? I may have the same problem theres an annoying squeaking noise that comes from the left side of the engine and it only does it when the engine is cold and if it sits for a while! What could be causeing this?

By left side do you mean driver side? Check the water pump tensioner for binding or a bad pulley

Archived