CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Timeserts

Topcat9pet

Cleatus.

I've heard comments, pro and con regarding timeserts and whether or not it is worthwhile to install them, or just scrap the heads. The dealers say use timeserts and many "civilian" shops say just scrap the engine.

I have two N* with bad head bolts/gaskets. One is still in a '97 Deville and the other one is out of a '97 Eldorado.

Is there any place to get the timesert kit other than Kent-Moore?

Is it a good idea or necassary to timesert anything but the headbolts?

It is my understanding that timeserts are tapered and that Helicoils have straight sides?

Thanks,

Cleatus.

Helicoils will not provide a satisfactory repair. The ONLY thread repair device that will properly repair head bolt holes is the time sert specifically designed for the Northstar engine. www.timesert.com will provide additional information.

Why would you scrap the heads if you had bad threads in the block??? Time sert the block and the repair will outlast the car.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I would totally disregard any cons as they obviously know nothing about properly repairing the Northstar engine.....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I would totally disregard any cons as they obviously know nothing about properly repairing the Northstar engine.....

Oh I agree with that, I am just curious who would make a negative statement regarding the time-certs....and what is making that statement carry ANY weight?

Sounds to me a little like the other member here that was told by the dealer that the oil life monitor can be 'thrown off' :angry:

I did the time serts on my engine myself. They are great.

Not a difficult job, and as previously mentioned, make a permanent repair.

(Better than a new block)

How any one could find anything negative about Timeserts is beyond belief.

I would only listen to the people that have used them.

I believe you can purchase the Timesert kit directly from Timesert in the US.

A couple years ago, they only sold direct in the US.

Here in Canada I got the kit from a distributor 'Wurth". www.wurthcanada.com (A world wide company)

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Archived