CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hot smell & rough idle from 95 STS

jimkujo

For the past few weeks my 95 STS has been smelling very hot(burning type smell from I think the engine compartment). I notice this more now because I have been keeping it in the garage. Also my car is now running very rough at idle and slow speeds(Was looking at new plugs and wires). I think these may be related. What should my next steps be. My car has 88,000 miles on it. I would like to try to diagnose this myself before having to shell out any money. Can anyone help.

The smell that I get from it almost smells like burning plastic. But numerous times I have tried to investigate the smell when it is really bad and can never pin point where it is coming from or see any smoke of any kind. If i were to have to pick a spot where it may be coming from I would lean to the rear part of the engine though. Another point that I wanted to mention was that I've seen on here where coolant temps should reach around 220 or so . When warm mine usually hovers right around 199-203 in that area. Could this be any thing? Thanks

Drop some coolant at hot manifold to get familiar with the specific smell and compare it to what you get while driving. It is possible some coolant is sprayed on manifold while driving (under high RPMs the pressure in cooling system increases and it can get out through tiny cracks et.) You can also look at the engine compartment with engine running, just increase manually RPMs to some 2000-3000 and watch carefully for coolant sprays and smoke.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Has there been any maintenance, engine detailing or any other activities recently done to the vehicle in this area? If so I would start there.

SInce it has a burning plastic smell, it sounds like something is against the exhaust manifold/pipes or in close proximity of them. This may require going up under the car to have a look.

It's tough to diagnose these issues on a board.

I beleive you said it runs rough at low idle. If both of them occured at the same time, they may be related, but it is also possible they are two seperate issues.

As someone else suggested, check the codes. Hopefully this will help with why it's running poorly.

I don't have a lot of experience with repairing these particular cars so I don't really know what all is back there between the engine and the fire wall. If possible try to get a "Helm" service manual for it. I see them everyonce in a while on ebay.

Jim

Archived