CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Chromed rims / paint

stefank

Friends,

I recently acquired a set of rims through ebay for my snow tires. I was very lucky to get them over here for a decent price.

As you can see in the attached picture, the rims have painted areas between the spokes. This silver paint is flaking, and I would like to remove it completely.

Has anyone ever done this? Could I use paint remover or will this damage the chrome surface? Are the inner spokes (now painted) chromed, or will removing the paint reveal untreated surface?

As usual, many thanks for your assistance

Stefan

PS A happy new year to all!

post-3-1104579867.jpg

The wheels on my '98 are chrome plated under the paint between the spokes. But the chrome under the paint is not buffed and polished.

I was able to remove the paint with several applications of a full strength paint stripper and water rinse. The task is simple if the tires are not mounted.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

That is a factory-chrome Cadillac wheel in your attachment to your post. Factory-chrome wheels are chrome beneath that painted area. In the U.S we have a product called "Graffiti Remover" available at Lowe's/Home Depot and other large home-improvement stores. Perhaps you can locate this in Germany. This is a spray-on product you let sit for about 15 minutes, then scrub off. It will remove the paint and you'll be left with chrome. I'd use chrome polish after to neutralize the Graffiti Remover and also even things out.

Good luck,

~Doc

For paint removal, that will not harm your chrome, use DOT 3 brake fluid. Just ask anyone who has gotten this stuff on paint (I have done it), it pretty much liquifies paint on contact. Once the paint is gone, wash the wheels, and you are done. Should take about 15 minutes.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

I stripped the silver paint off my wheels with Graffitti-Off spray paint stripper. It made a huge improvement in the wheels' appearance! I have no idea why Cadillac mucks up their wheels with that silver paint in the first place.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Hey Guys,

thanks a lot for the information!

I will try to remove the paint as soon as the weather 's getting a bit warmer here!

Best

Stefan

Stef,

Just be sure to keep them "waxed." When you apply the wax go over the back edge with your finger especially if they use salt for snow/ice melt on roads. Do the same for the returns by the lug bolts.

After buffing you can spray the powder residue with a hose.

Hi everybody,

I've tried some stuff to remove the paint of the inner spokes, what worked best was a very strong paint thinner. I was able to remove the paint easily from one spoke. Now I know why they have painted these areas; the surface has not been smoothed before chroming. There's a lot of scratches and scuffs under the chrome.

Were you able to polish that? On my wheel that looks like you would rather rub through the chrome than getting it smooth...

Best

Stefan

That is a factory-chrome Cadillac wheel in your attachment to your post. Factory-chrome wheels are chrome beneath that painted area. In the U.S we have a product called "Graffiti Remover" available at Lowe's/Home Depot and other large home-improvement stores. Perhaps you can locate this in Germany. This is a spray-on product you let sit for about 15 minutes, then scrub off. It will remove the paint and you'll be left with chrome. I'd use chrome polish after to neutralize the Graffiti Remover and also even things out.

Good luck,

~Doc

Are you telling me that I can take that paint/stuff off? I have the same wheels on my 97 STS. Some of that so called paint has indeed flaked off and I was also wondering if I could just strip it off and get down to the chrome wheel

Dennis

I stripped the silver paint off my wheels with Graffitti-Off spray paint stripper. It made a huge improvement in the wheels' appearance! I have no idea why Cadillac mucks up their wheels with that silver paint in the first place.

Cadillac puts it there to save the chrome. I see plenty of factory wheels that were then chrome-plated aftermarket. In the aftermarket they chrome the whole wheel. The areas between the spokes begin to deteriorate in 1 to 3 years. Those areas trap dirt/brake dust in. Be sure to keep those areas especially clean if you choose to remove that 'muck' or expect deterioration in time.

~Doc

post-3-1105022955.jpg

Thanks for the heads-up, Doc! I stripped my wheels a little over a year ago. I keep them nice and clean and there's no sign of deterioration so far. I'll keep an eye on them. (I still think they look a whole lot better without the paint.)

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Why is there paint on them????????????? :blink:

Polishing metal to get it ready for chrome plating is a VERY labor intensive process. All the bare metal has be polished to look like chrome BEFORE the chrome is applied. Any scratch, bump, defect, dull spot, or even a finger print will not come out after chroming no matter how much you polish the chrome.

Cadillac must have saved a few dollars per rim and just used a surface polishing machine that can easily polish the outer rims but cannot reach into the spokes. They then painted the unpolished but chrome plated inner spokes to help dress up that area.

Why is there paint on them????????????? :blink:

Polishing metal to get it ready for chrome plating is a VERY labor intensive process. All the bare metal has be polished to look like chrome BEFORE the chrome is applied. Any scratch, bump, defect, dull spot, or even a finger print will not come out after chroming no matter how much you polish the chrome.

Cadillac must have saved a few dollars per rim and just used a surface polishing machine that can easily polish the outer rims but cannot reach into the spokes. They then painted the unpolished but chrome plated inner spokes to help dress up that area.

I did not know that!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Archived