CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

P0036 and P0141

mike33

Dear Team,

I have SES light on with these two codes. Is this a bad O2 sensor? Which one, the most rear? If so, anybody have the AC Delco part #.

Thanks in advance, Happy New Year, Mike

P0036 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Control Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2
P0141 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 2

Bank 1 Sensor 2 is the oxygen sensor on the rear flange of the cat. There is only one cat. This oxygen sensor monitors CAT function and has nothing to do with the fuel injection.

The 2002 FSM says that if P0141 is set, fix P0036 first if it is set too. Fixing P0036 is about checking the wiring harness for opens and shorts, and checking the connector on the PCM (unlikely to be bad unless the car was just worked on) and on the oxygen sensor itself. The hot line on the oxygen sensor, PNK, gets battery voltage through the 10 Amp OXY SEN fuse in the underhood fuse block. The other side, the BLK/WHT wire, is grounded by the PCM when the engine is running. We don't bother with the signal lines (DK GRN/WHT and DK BLU/WHT) because P0036 is all about the heater not working. The FSM says that if the wires and connector are OK, replace the oxygen sensor.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 2 weeks later...

I went ahead and replaced the O2 sensor by the CAT with AC Delco part # 2133544. Turns out wires by the sensor were trashed. Oh well, I guess it can happen. There is a heat shield covering the wiring and connector, held in place by three rivets. Have to drill out the rivets for access, then replace with screws. SES light is off and stays off. Hope this info helps somebody else out there. Thanks, Mike

Sorry, I didn't get the alert that you had replied. Yes, most OBD trouble code messages apply to any model that throws them, within limits. Some of the higher numbers, 1000 and above, or 2000 and above, can differ between manufacturers but usually not over model years.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived