CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Off topic. Non Cadillac dealer question

brmurph

I have an 09 Dodge Journey that is making a ticking noise, dealer says it is the rocker assembly and will replace it under lifetime powertrain warranty (looks to be common problem on the 3.5 motors). Odd thing is the service writer stated that the car was 2 quarts low on oil. This is odd because I just changed the oil withing the last 500 miles (in fact I changed it early to see if that would help with the noise) and I checked the oil level the day I brought it into the dealer, it was 1/2 way between add and full. So unless something very odd happened in the 1/2 mile drive to the dealer they are lying to me and I can't really figure out why? In my opinion if they really felt it was 2 quarts low why would they repair it under warranty (I would call that negligence unless of course it had a 7 quart sump, which it does not :-).

The only other thing I can think of is they are trying to set me up to decline a future warranty claim. I am sure Chrysler would love to get out of these lifetime powertrain warranty's they offered.

Thoughts?

First, check the oil yourself ASAP. Make sure that it is on level ground, with a warm engine that has been off for at least a minute or two.

You could go to respected independent mechanic or even another dealer. Ford dealers in some areas offer service on all makes. Get a diagnosis from them.

As far as the two quarts low is concerned, if it is not true, remember Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

You might look at a good used Cadillac when it runs out of warranty. :)

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks Jim, I did go check it myself at the dealer and here is what I found. The tech over filled it by at least 1/2 a quart and it could be a full quart so in my opinion what they were calling 2 quarts low was really 1 quart low max. He may have added 2 quarts but they will never convince me it was 2 quarts low. According to the service adviser they just want to get this documented in case there is an oil consumption problem that needs to be addressed.

So bottom line I no longer feel it was vindictive in any way. In my opinion it was just a careless technician that wanted to find a reason for the rocker assembly issue and added two quarts of oil then told the service advisor it was two quarts low. Frustrating but oh well like I said so far they said they will cover the repair.

I do have an old 98 Deville Concours (have owned it and been on this board for 13 years). In fact I have it at the dealer right now looking at the AC compressor and the rear shocks which both have been replaced and are supposedly covered by GM lifetime warranty (wish me luck on this one :-). It has the expensive electronic shocks which are no longer available so it should be interesting to see what happens, my understanding is if they don't have the parts they are suppose to refund the repair (about $1800.00).

Thanks again..

It sounds more like the tech didn't push the dipstick all the way down, or misread it. Then, he put in two quarts and didn't check it again. Hanlon's Razor.

Whenever someone says that he wants to replace your shocks, ask why, then say no. Check them out yourself or have a second opinion elsewhere. You can do the bounce test yourself.

That said, I put new shocks and struts on my 1997 Eldorado at 156,000 miles. It still passed the bounce test on every corner and I had no complaints about the ride and handling, but the difference in the way the car drove was profound. The new shocks and struts were genuine AC/Delco electronic, which I got on a close-out price from Rock Auto when GM discontinued them in early 2012.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived