CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 4.6 deville had some overheating issues about two months ago then stopped today started all over again non stop would get it cooled down replace coolent start up heat right up as high as 250-260 have new ect sensor to install but can't locate it on motor also have ordered new thermostat how ever i have not heard or seen the fans kick in also trying to locate the fan relay in engine compartment but relay for fan only 50 amp fuse any help would be greatly appreciated

i'm am trying to find location of ect sensor to change out with new one but also had overheating issues a couple months back and out of blue stopped then today non stop overheating constantly have ordered new thermostat which i plan to install this weekend but through all this i have never heard or seen the fans kick in tried also locating the fan relay in engine compartment but nothing listed except 50 amp fuse which was fine and i know fans should have come on temp hit 255 today

Engine coolant temp sensor is to the right rear of the engine (as you're standing in front of the car facing it). From the rear row of spark plugs, look a little to the right of the rightmost one. It should be there going into the block under the valve cover. At work so can't post a picture.

If you were to imagine a straight line from the EGR to the right rear sparkplug, that sensor would be along that line.

Don't start replacing parts without first diagnosing the problem. The car overheated - you needed to add coolant afterwards so the engine coolant temperature sensor is not the cause of the overheating.

Does it overheat in traffic or while the car is at highway speed?

Check the purge line to the surge tank - then perform a combustion gas test on the coolant.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived