CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My 2002 Deville takes a long time to turn over when trying to crank

bigboikw

I have a 2002 Deville, when it sits for a while and I try to crank it, it takes a while to turn over, or I would have to crank it once then the second time it will start. I changed both of the crank sensors in the bottom front of the engine, and it still is doing the same thing.... can anyone please tell me what I need to change to fix it?

Do you hear your fuel pump prime when you turn the key to the on position without cranking? If the fuel pump relay is faulty, the oil pressure sensor provides a backup signal to energize the fuel pump. But if the backup has to kick in, it Requires a longer crank time.

For more information, please run your OBD codes and post them here. Follow the link in my signature block for a Caddyinfo "how-to" page on running OBD codes.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Do you know how to check the fuel pressure regulator? If your statement "when it sits for a while" means after you drive it and wait 15 or more minutes, but less than say 12 hours, your fuel pressure regulator could be leaking gas into the engine, flooding it.

Hard starting when hot is a symptom of a leaking FPR. The way to check for that is to pull off the hose from the FPR to the throttle body and see if you can smell gasoline; if you can, the FPR is leaking. Other FPR checks are not so easy, requiring a fuel pressure gauge and a vacuum gauge.

Hard starting when the car has been sitting a few hours is a symptom of fuel leakage in the FPR (to the gas tank return line) or a fuel injector (into the intake manifold). Hard starting when the car has been sitting is also a symptom of a bad fuel pump, or a bad fuel pump relay or other fuel pump actuating circuitry.

Run the OBD codes and post them here and we can tell if it's a fuel pump relay or electrical problem.

Leaking FPRs or injectors don't throw a code. Most electrical issues *do* throw a code.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived