CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

No A/C all of a sudden. Compressor is working..what now?

Caddynut

This morning there was absolutely no refrigerant in the system. It's a gonner.

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

One side cooling and the other side ambient is a signal of low refrigerant in the dual climate control equipped cars. Since there is now no refrigerant in the system, there is a major leak - these compressors are "belly leakers" - the corrosion on the compressor ends undermines the case o-rings and they leak. Is the compressor all oily?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

you are right KHE. All oily. Looks like I will be cutting the STS loose since there are a hundred other things wrong also. Anyone looking for an 85,000 mile STS?

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

One side cooling and the other side ambient is a signal of low refrigerant in the dual climate control equipped cars. Since there is now no refrigerant in the system, there is a major leak - these compressors are "belly leakers" - the corrosion on the compressor ends undermines the case o-rings and they leak. Is the compressor all oily?

Kevin have you repaired those compressors? I put new seals on the one in my truck. All was good for about 2 months and then it let all the freon out quickly, so I am thinking new compressor. Kinda wondering if I missed something. The case didn't seem to be as smooth as it should be on the outside where the large o-rings went.

Kevin have you repaired those compressors? I put new seals on the one in my truck. All was good for about 2 months and then it let all the freon out quickly, so I am thinking new compressor. Kinda wondering if I missed something. The case didn't seem to be as smooth as it should be on the outside where the large o-rings went.

Yes - If the compressor is not noisy and pumps fine, the fix is fairly straightforward. A new seal kit and a double lip shaft seal will run about $70.00 compared to the cost of a new compressor. The case and ends need to be scribed brfore disassembly so that it is reassembled exactly in the same orientation or it will not pump.

The problem is the unpainted cast aluminum ends of the compressor - the corrosion works its way under the o-rings and then they start to leak. When the compressors exhibit this failure mode, they are slow leakers - they will take a day or two to leak out enough refrigerant to trip the code. If your system had a catastrophic leak, check the lines and the condenser.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived