CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1996 Cadillac Deville TC0027

I have a 1996 Cadillac deville with the trouble code TC0027 as stated in the title.

This code is for the Left front wheel speed sensor and describes that it has a continuity issue.

Well, here is what I have done so far in attempts to fix this and maybe some of you more knowledgeable people can enlighten me on what I need to do and what I may have done wrong.

First, I replaced both the front wheel hubs with new since they were getting worn and had almost 150k miles on them. This obviously did not fix the problem. I then proceeded to clean all the fuse connections in the car and the connectors that had to do with he left front wheel speed sensor, even the EBTCM modules main connector. I did an ohm test on the new and old bearing which showed about 1200-1300 ohms on new and old. I checked for continuity from the wheel speed connector down to the hub connector and there is good continuity there. Next I plan on checking from the hub to the EBTCM connector.

I also read somewhere about if the EBTCM is bad then no matter what it throws the TC0027 code and none of the others. This led me to thinking if I unplug both the front hub wheel speed connectors then it should throw a code for the right front also. Correct? Well, it did not and only showed a code for the left front. This leads me to believe that the EBTCM may be bad but I am not 100% sure and dont feel like wasting money for fun.

When replacing the hub, I could get both the ABS and Traction control light to go off with the wheel off but as soon as I put the wheel back on, or lowered the car to the ground then the lights would come back on. The lights are always on no matter if I am driving on a bumpy or smooth road, wiggling wires around, or doing whatever.

I made sure the wires were twisted right on all parts of the car but the hub connector itself so that should all be fine. I will check the hub to see if they are twisted later on just in case.

Brakes work fine other than no pulsating feeling front he ABS pump and the car starts in second gear due to the traction control light. Other than that the car is functioning normally.

This is all I can remember for now of what I have done maybe more will come to me later.

Any help will be appreciated. This is a daily driver and I would like to get this fixed in a day or 2 to get it back on the road again. Any information you might need, I will try and get for you. Although it is storming where I live right now so it might be a delay on getting the info for you depending on what it is.

Thanks, Stephen

from my experience I would replace the pigtail to the hub assembly. they were pretty common among alot of GMs, the wires burn internally. Being the left front you should be able to go right to the EBTCM.

The female pins in the plug spread over time and cause faulty wheel speed reading.

The burnt wiring also causes excessive resistance to be read by the EBTCM causing a code to be thrown.

Your wire may be pinched to ground somewhere also.

Best of luck on fixing it.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

from my experience I would replace the pigtail to the hub assembly. they were pretty common among alot of GMs, the wires burn internally. Being the left front you should be able to go right to the EBTCM.

The female pins in the plug spread over time and cause faulty wheel speed reading.

The burnt wiring also causes excessive resistance to be read by the EBTCM causing a code to be thrown.

Your wire may be pinched to ground somewhere also.

Best of luck on fixing it.

Ill try to close the gaps on the connector to see if that helps. Also, I have continuity going through the wires. Is there any way to ohm the wire and see if the resistance is correct? If so what ohms should it be.

Ill check later on to see what the voltage at the connector to the left front is.

But isnt it weird to you that if I unplug the other speed sensors at the hub that no other lights come one?

Thanks, Stephen

Have You driven the car unplugged? If not, that´s why.

I have not but at the same time I did not drive the car after resetting the codes yet the tc0027 came back. Im gonna go drive the car with the other sensor unplugged and see if it sets a code.

Thanks, Stephen

UPDATE: Drove the car with all sensors unplugged yet only the TC0027 came on.

not necessarily. If a fault is seen and a code sets you may need to clear codes and drive it to set both codes. Doesnt sound like it makes much sense but I have run into it before.

You can ohm test the hub assembly with a multimeter, but dont recall on the EBTCM side. other than unplugging it and ohming the wires.

GM FAN FOREVER

not necessarily. If a fault is seen and a code sets you may need to clear codes and drive it to set both codes. Doesnt sound like it makes much sense but I have run into it before.

You can ohm test the hub assembly with a multimeter, but dont recall on the EBTCM side. other than unplugging it and ohming the wires.

I think im gonna bite the bullet and buy a used EBTCM and hope that fixes the problem. Worst case scenario I take it back off and send it back.

THanks, Stephen

why do that without knowing for sure that the wires are good to it?

I know that can sound easier but it may hurt in the long run.

From my experience The EBTCM in that generation is very durable and reliable.

more than anything a problem is usually a chaffed or corroded wire.

Especially when you only have one code.

GM FAN FOREVER

why do that without knowing for sure that the wires are good to it?

I know that can sound easier but it may hurt in the long run.

From my experience The EBTCM in that generation is very durable and reliable.

more than anything a problem is usually a chaffed or corroded wire.

Especially when you only have one code.

Ill try later on today to swap the wire from the fender to the hub with the one on the passenger side and see if that sets anything different.

Archived