CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

OK, I just returned from the dealership in an attempt to have my new ECM programmed. The tech indicated that the ECM got to 88% then shut down. The next time he tried programming it, the ECM reached 100% but this time the dash lit up and shut down the entire system. The tech thinks that a module is bad causing my communication problem. $123.00 to find the issue. Anyway to trouble shoot at home?

Are there any aftermarket componants in the car - like a radio? Anything you can disconnect? Like the obsolete modules for onstar located over the rear passenger wheelwell? Was the car in water or a flood recently? Did you get the carpets shampood? You should check for shorts in the purple wire - especially where there was work done, or the wire is exposed. Maybe the memory module on the drivers door?

Are there any aftermarket componants in the car - like a radio? Anything you can disconnect? Like the obsolete modules for onstar located over the rear passenger wheelwell? Was the car in water or a flood recently? Did you get the carpets shampood? You should check for shorts in the purple wire - especially where there was work done, or the wire is exposed. Maybe the memory module on the drivers door?

Interesting thought, I do have an aftermarket radio and when trouble codes are displayed it say "no irc data". So if I removed the radio and put the stock back in, it may connect. That may also fix my onstar problems since it can't connect to onstar. That's going to be a task for a day I having nothing but time but I will investigate the idea. The current onstar is the new upgraded digital verified by the dealer and onstar. Thanks for your reply

No Irc data is ok, and expected and will not hurt anything. Just make sure that the harness protects your purple wire. It should be terminated, and not connected to anything. Sometimes someone adds in that aftermarket chime module so your car still chime when the keys are left in the ignition when a door is opened. If that is installed, i would suggest disconnecting the purple wire from that as a test.

No Irc data is ok, and expected and will not hurt anything. Just make sure that the harness protects your purple wire. It should be terminated, and not connected to anything. Sometimes someone adds in that aftermarket chime module so your car still chime when the keys are left in the ignition when a door is opened. If that is installed, i would suggest disconnecting the purple wire from that as a test.

Good advice. I had the radio installed at best buy and all the connections snap as you stated. (So just pull the purple wire and cap it off?) I can do without the chime if that will be the only thing I loose. I forgot to mention that I also have a code (amp u1000) You've been a big help with great suggestions.

I agree you have a datalink problem.

The easiest way to find out what module is pulling the system down is to disconnect them one at a time til the problem no longer occurs

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I agree you have a datalink problem.

The easiest way to find out what module is pulling the system down is to disconnect them one at a time til the problem no longer occurs

That sounds like a plan, only if I knew what I was looking for and where to look. Maybe I can find Schematics on line somewhere. The dealer indicated $123.00 to find it but replacing and or fixing the problem will increase the price, especially I that's something on my level of repair.

Archived