CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Had a higher than normal idle coming home the other day. This happens about once a year, in the past it's been the throttle plate gummed up and sticking open a little bit. This time is different. The more i drove the worse it got, until finally when i got home i had trouble stopping the car. I shut it off in drive, and then started it back, the idle was 2000.

I cleaned the throttle plate anyway, but didn't help at all. I didn't read the codes yet since it only happened last night, and I couldn't drive it this morning, couldn't even shift it to drive.

Does this sound more like an IAC or a TPS problem? I was planning on getting codes tonight and cleaning IAC.

I'll post codes later.

Thanks for any help

Had a higher than normal idle coming home the other day. This happens about once a year, in the past it's been the throttle plate gummed up and sticking open a little bit. This time is different. The more i drove the worse it got, until finally when i got home i had trouble stopping the car. I shut it off in drive, and then started it back, the idle was 2000.

I cleaned the throttle plate anyway, but didn't help at all. I didn't read the codes yet since it only happened last night, and I couldn't drive it this morning, couldn't even shift it to drive.

Does this sound more like an IAC or a TPS problem? I was planning on getting codes tonight and cleaning IAC.

I'll post codes later.

Thanks for any help

Waiting on codes.....

Waiting on codes.....

Got these last night:

U1064

P0122

P0741

P1122

B1009

B2120

Cleaned the IAC valve and cleared codes. This morning started it back up and it idled really rough for a couple minutes, then went back up to about 2000 and sat there. Just like before.

These codes came back this morning:

P0122

P1122

P1599

B1009

So some google searching is showing that it's probably the TPS circuit, and the IAC is just acting on what is being told by pcm.

Should I just go ahead and get a new sensor? or is there an easy repair for these maybe, like cleaning or something?

Make sure the throttle cable is not broken or kinked - trace it from the throttle body to the firewall.

Also, make sure the floor mat is not on top of the accelerator pedal.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Before replacing anything get a can of electrical cleaner.

Disconnect any connections in the circuit to the TPS. Spray both sides with the cleaner.

Put them back together after 5 minutes dry time.

Check it out.

I have never replaced a TPS when told it was needed, on any vehicle. This did the trick. These things operate on such small voltage and even less current a little oxidation will knock them out of whack. When I do this I hit every connection I can get to when it comes to sensors.

Let us know how you make out.

thanks for the help everyone. It seems to be fixed, at least for the first couple trips I've taken.

I replaced the TPS, the old one was really worn out, no spring return action and it spun very freely.

Also cleaned the connections with some electrical connector cleaner.

Started it up and it runs normally, for 50 miles so far.

thanks for the help everyone. It seems to be fixed, at least for the first couple trips I've taken.

I replaced the TPS, the old one was really worn out, no spring return action and it spun very freely.

Also cleaned the connections with some electrical connector cleaner.

Started it up and it runs normally, for 50 miles so far.

Good deal, glad you posted your fix!

Archived