CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

PASSENGER COMPARTMENT AIR FILTER

BOB W.

Yes, you can purchase the cabin filter at a parts store. Most filter companies have this filter in their line. Is it needed? I say yes, but I also have allergies and the filter removes pollen, mold spores,etc.

Easy to replace? No! Let someone else do it!

I have never heard of a cabin air filter before. Is this something my '94 Eldo would have or is it a new thing? If I do have one, I'm sure it is packed solid with crud by now and should be replaced.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I would say they are not really needed unless as Bruce says, you have a bad alergy problem. They haven't had them for years and you don't have one when you have the windows open or when your walking outside so why bother.

According to the manual on my 2000 STS, the cabin air filter should be changed more often than any other kind of filter except oil. However, my dealer has never mentioned it and it has never been changed.

The book for my '99 sts mentions a 15k cabin filter change interval. I bought the filter at my dealer and decided I could put it in ( the dealer did say "good luck") at the 15k mile point. Never in my wildest dreams would I have expected it to be so difficult a task. The designer should be assigned to some dealership to do nothing but cahnge these filters. After skinning elbows arms and hands and almost giving up, the dissipointing fact was there was very little dirt/stuff caught in it, it could have gone for years more before slowing air flow (in Atlanta climate anyway), the element has quite a large surface area when fully opened up and in place, unless your fairly sure the air flow isn't what it once was I would strongly suggest leaving it alone.

I have a 2000 STS, and I also read in my book that the cabin air filter should be replaced at 15k miles as well. So I purchased the filter for about $45.00 and tried installing myself but was unable to. I took the car back to the GM (Chevy) dealer where I purchased it from and asked them to install it for me and they were unable to as well. I then took my car to my local Cadillac dealer to have the filter installed and after 2 days of the car being in the shop for other minor repairs I was told that my car did not have or need a cabin air filter. Now I'm stuck with a $45.00 Cabin Air filter for a 2000 STS.

my 98 sls was very very difficult, about as hard as door 13l on a f-4, this deal was designed by the chiropractor union.....Linda's 2000 deville is under a cover under the hood, very easy to change will do so in the morning.. By the way my sls at 20k miles and 4 yeaRS was completely plugged, Linda's at 38k and 4 years was only slightly loaded....

I took mine out and I had a lot more air flow coming out of the vents. I decided to leave it out (partly because it looked IMPOSSIBLE to put back in) and I liked the additional air flow. I also figured that every car before 98 had A/C without an air filter so I figured I could live without it.

Max

I have a 2000 STS and have changed the air filter twice. Once at 15000 and at 30000 miles. The first time was a total pain. The second time was a lot better. You are dealing with 3 filters which have to interlock together to make 1 large filter. The hole by the driver gas pedal is where the first of 3 have to be slid in. The trick is to hold the first one up and use the ext. tab to slide the next one in. In my case i found it must easier to spray some food grade silicone on the plastic part where they fit together. Total job is about 20 minutes.

P.S. Iwould change or either remove the filter completely. Remember though at 15000 miles the filter is pretty dirty and if you elect to remove it this dirt is going to clog the evaporator eventually.

Archived