CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

OBD II Scanner & ABS 1298 (H)

I want to purchase a OBD II scanner but kind of stuck on a good buy. I would like to check trouble codes to include the abs system. Walmart has this on sale for $168 INNOVA 3160 Diagnostic Scan Tool with ABS/SRS and Live Data for OBD2. Thought this would be a great investment seeing every car that I've worked on contains a active check engine light along with SRS.

My next concern is a history trouble code ABS-1298 that just will not cycle off. My traction control light is still on, and I have checked all grounds, wheel connectors and fuses. I'm gearing towards my EBTCM, however my cruise works fine.

I also want to thank the members of this great forum because I have saved a TON of cash doing my own repairs.

'05 Deville right?....are you sure your seeing a 1298? Do not see that one in my GM software for a '05 and ABS.

Still don't see a C1298 listed for the 2005 Deville. Maybe service manual misprint....There is a bulletin...

PIC3013: C1298 in EBTCM and U1040 in PCM, During Key Power Mode Changes

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
An intermittent C1298 stored in the EBTCM and a U1040 stored in the pcm. The codes will only set during key up when the key is turned from "Off" to "Start" and back to "Run". The codes will set during or shortly after the normal key power mode changes referenced above. The codes can be cleared during the same drive cycle in which they set and will not reset during that same drive cycle. If the key is turned back to off and the process above is repeated the codes will reset.

Checks for proper voltage at ignition 1 pin 63 and ignition 0 pin 19 may find that the voltage levels are correct for the key position that they are checked in. (If not correct these issues prior to proceeding)
If ignition power is jumpered temporarily from the PCM ignition fuse to the ignition 0 fuse the condition will not occur.
Cause: Programming error in the pcm.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Replace the PCM and reprogram it.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Models:
(2000-02 Cadillac Eldorado) and (2000-05 Cadillac Deville)

There is a C1298 listed for the 2004 Deville...

Scan Tool Does Not Communicate with Class 2 Device

Modules connected to the class 2 serial data circuit monitor for serial data communications during normal vehicle operation. Operating information and commands are exchanged among the modules. Connecting a scan tool to the data link connector (DLC) allows communication with the modules for diagnostic purposes.

Diagnostic Aids
The engine will not start when there is a total loss of class 2 serial data communication while the ignition is OFF. The following conditions will cause a total loss of class 2 serial data communication:

• A class 2 serial data circuit shorted to ground.

• A class 2 serial data circuit shorted to voltage.

• An internal condition within a module or connector on the class 2 serial data circuit, that causes a short to voltage or ground to the class 2 serial data circuit.

Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

A partial loss of communication in the class 2 serial data circuit uses a different procedure than a total loss of communication of the class 2 serial data circuit.

The following DTCs may be retrieved with a history status. These DTCs are not the cause of the present condition.

• U1300

• U1301

• U1305

A State of Health DTC with a history status may be present along with a U1000 or U1255 with a current status. This indicates that the malfunction occurred when the ignition was on.

Normal class 2 serial data communication cannot take place until the power mode master (PMM) module sends the appropriate power mode message. If the PMM does not send a wake-up message, other modules on the class 2 serial data circuit may not communicate.

Disconnecting the splice packs one at a time and attempting to communicate with any module still connected to the class 2 serial data circuit, will determine whether or not the concern is in the star portion of the class 2 serial data circuit.

Connecting the class 2 serial data circuits to the suspect splice pack one at a time while attempting to communicate with any module still connected to the class 2 serial data circuit, will determine which circuit or module on the star is causing the concern.

Splitting the class 2 serial data circuit will help isolate the location of the malfunction. If communication can be established, the concern is located in the wiring or one of the modules that is no longer connected to the DLC. If communication cannot be established, the concern is located in the wiring or one of the modules that is still connected to the DLC.

If there are no current DTCs that begin with the letter "U", the communication concern has been repaired.

The communication concern may have prevented diagnosis of the customer complaint.

Yeah, I also have code PCM u1040 H as listed above. I'll get back on it this weekend. I was prepared to send my original EBTCM of for rebuild that was suggested. Not what I wanted to hear but a starting point is always good. "PCM". I should have thrown a code of P0602 or P0610 I would think.

Still don't see a C1298 listed for the 2005 Deville. Maybe service manual misprint....There is a bulletin...

PIC3013: C1298 in EBTCM and U1040 in PCM, During Key Power Mode Changes

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms in the PI.

Condition/Concern:

An intermittent C1298 stored in the EBTCM and a U1040 stored in the pcm. The codes will only set during key up when the key is turned from "Off" to "Start" and back to "Run". The codes will set during or shortly after the normal key power mode changes referenced above. The codes can be cleared during the same drive cycle in which they set and will not reset during that same drive cycle. If the key is turned back to off and the process above is repeated the codes will reset.

Checks for proper voltage at ignition 1 pin 63 and ignition 0 pin 19 may find that the voltage levels are correct for the key position that they are checked in. (If not correct these issues prior to proceeding)

If ignition power is jumpered temporarily from the PCM ignition fuse to the ignition 0 fuse the condition will not occur.

Cause: Programming error in the pcm.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Replace the PCM and reprogram it.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Models:

(2000-02 Cadillac Eldorado) and (2000-05 Cadillac Deville)

I've been thinking about this bulletin and tried something that I've done in the past but never payed direct attention to the out come.

I cleared the codes after running another check but this time after I cleared the codes, and before I shut the car off I noticed that my Traction Control light stayed off. I proceeded to turn off the car, then restart and yes the traction control came back.

So now I'm retracing my tracks dealing with the abs...

1. ABS pump kept running and brakes started to pulsate while abs, brake and TC stayed active on DIC. Replaced EBTCM from another deville from pull a part.

2. Brake and TC light stay active but another feature came up indicating "Check System Stabilization Ride Control. Remove EBTCM fro another one, which is the problem I have now.

3. The only light that light is the Traction Control along with the codes indicated.

4. I think my problem lies with in my original EBTCM that was just sent off to be rebuilt and the one that I replaced it with. I have a deal on a new ECM and the stealership will reprogram it for $127 plus tax. I think my Electronic Brake Traction Control Module (TC) side is shot. Maybe something simple to this fix. I just read a old post and his fix was the snap locks on the EBTCM. (Just a Guess"

Archived