CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1999 Eldorado Northstar engine question

Hi.

I am new to the forum and have recently reading a lot about overheating and head gasket issues on these engines and wanted to get some advice before I have any problems.

I don't believe I have a over heat issue now as the gauge is always no higher than 1/2 even on trips.

It has about 80,000 miles on it and I've owned it for about 8 years.

It is a "pleasure" driving car and I try to drive it about 500-1,000 miles a year.

So it does "sit" at times for weeks without being driven.

My questions are:

1. if the gauge is reading about 1/2 is this normal for these engines even in cold weather?

2. should I have the coolant flushed and replaced and if so where is the best place to have it done and what kind should they replace it with?

Thanks

Your gage observations are normal. The normal position really does not have much to do with the outside temperature - it where the thermostat opens. It may take longer for the gage to reach the normal position during the colder months though.

Continute to use DexCool mixed 50/50 with DISTILLED water. This coolant should be changed every 5 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first. In your case, the 5 year intervals will be the norm. The coolant should have been changed in 2004. If you have owned it since 2007 and have never changed the coolant, it would be prudent to change it as soon as possible.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Your gage observations are normal. The normal position really does not have much to do with the outside temperature - it where the thermostat opens. It may take longer for the gage to reach the normal position during the colder months though.

Continute to use DexCool mixed 50/50 with DISTILLED water. This coolant should be changed every 5 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first. In your case, the 5 year intervals will be the norm. The coolant should have been changed in 2004. If you have owned it since 2007 and have never changed the coolant, it would be prudent to change it as soon as possible.

Thank you for the quick reply!

So do I need the have the system "flushed" or just drain the coolant (what I can get out) and just refill?

Thanks again

Just drain and refill it. It is Not necessary to flush. For your vintage, GM Recommended 2 sealant tubes be added to all new coolant. I would add just 1 of them. I suspect it keeps the coolant from getting into the head bolt threads, and keeps the clamping of the heads strong. Also, the surge tank should be about 2" from the top when filled. Just check it when cold a few times after you refill it to make sure you have it filled correctly.

Btw, the baars leak sealant tablets can be purchased at walmart for under $2.00 for a tube. You add it to the top of the lower radiator hose right near the water pump. Since you don't drive the car much, you don't want too much sealant in the cooling system, as it might clump. But definitely add 1 and try to drive it for a few days to let it coat the insides before it sits idle again.

You might also want to consider draining and refilling the transmission fluid with dexron vi, and bleeding your brake fluid out.

You can drain and refill the coolant - no need for a flush. You will only get about half the old coolant out of it so you can drive it a few days and then do a drain and refill again.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

You can drain and refill the coolant - no need for a flush. You will only get about half the old coolant out of it so you can drive it a few days and then do a drain and refill again.

Thank you again....

I'll get the stuff and do this asap...

I'm hoping to avoid any overheat issues....Is there any thing else I can do to keep this car from experiencing this issue like tighten head bolts, etc? Or is there always going to be the possibility of it overheating?

Thank you again....

I'll get the stuff and do this asap...

I'm hoping to avoid any overheat issues....Is there any thing else I can do to keep this car from experiencing this issue like tighten head bolts, etc? Or is there always going to be the possibility of it overheating?

DO NOT attempt to tighten the head bolts. They are coated with a microencapsulated threadlocker from the factory and if you disturb them they could loosen. The single most important thing you can do is perform regular coolant changes.

Even if a headgasket lets go at some point down the road, it is not the end of the world - they can be repaired.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived