CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

left side cornering lamp

Can someone please help. I have a 1998 Seville with the cornering lamp out of the left hand side (drivers side). I switched light bulb with other side and it worked. Checked with 12V light tester no power. Striped wire on the other side of connector - no power. Followed wire back to engine compartment electrical center - no power. Ran a constant 12 volt to wire and light came on ( so the wire, connector and bulb works ). Question - is there a relay at the electrical center or do i have to go back to turn signal switch. The one electrical diagram i was able to get - didn't even show the turn signal switch. Please any one help. Thanks

Yes - checked ground. Even jumped to another spot. Also ruled that out when i put constant power to wire at the electrical center connection. Its the fuse box under the hood. I followed wire underneath it - I disconnected and added 12v power - light came on. So i think that rules out the condition of the wire, connector or bulb. i thinking i'm not getting a 12 volt signal to cornering lamp. I would think there is a relay or does the signal come from the turning switch for the cornering lamps. The cornering light on the right hand side only comes on when the turn signal flashes.

The orange wire goes into the underhood junction block, backout still being orange and to the turn signal switch. I sent a PM so I can send you a wiring diagram.

Ok folks got it done, with the help of barcy01. To recap, I checked bulb by switching with other side and checking with a test light. Bulb was fine and had no power to socket. I exposed wire on the other side of the connector to check for continuity. I did this to rule out anything wrong with socket. I traced wire (orange) to the underhood fuse box. I disconnected it from fuse box and applied 12 volt power to it. The cornering lamp came on. So this ruled out anything wrong with bulb, socket, ground or wire to that point. At this time barcy01 sent me a troubleshoot flow chart and a wire diagram of the circuit. From that I determined the power came directly from the turn signal switch and it remained orange all the way back to the switch. Had a real hard time with removing the air bag cover. Even broke the back cover in frustration. Looked at the other threads - wasn't real helpful. Wasn't really clear. Was able to get to the orange wire going to the turn switch. I stripped back some sheathing to expose wire and tested. No power. I then put power to the wire and the light came on. $23 later - Changed out turn signal switch and back cover with a trip to local pick and pull. I found the easiest way to remove that air bag cover - now that i have done it twice. First disconnect your battery. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP. Once air bag is removed - hook up battery to rotate steering wheel. Remove the two torx screws for the back steering wheel cover. Now look for the four spring loaded pins. I used two screw drivers and push retaining pin to the side with one screw driver and pried the pin up with the other one. Its a bit tricky but you get it once you see how it operates. The other way is thru the slots on the back cover. Slide a stub screwdriver and pry the out to the doors while pulling on corner one at a time. When I did this it just would snap back in when i went on the otherside. Try it you might have better luck. Then use a steering wheel removal tool. I had to use 1/4 20 nut and bolt to make it work. Its a bit tricky. Remember whenever removing or installing the air bag DISCONNECT THE BATTERY. CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. The great part is to install you just line up the pins and push. Thanks again to barczy01.

Archived