CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hi Everybody,

It has been a long time since I posted here but I am on everyday following the email alerts.

I have had no luck finding this topic in my searches so maybe one of you can point me to a previous post on the subject.

I need to pull the door panels from the passenger side doors on my 95 Fleetwood Brougham. I was silly enough to put it in a body shop for some minor body work and apparently the shop is fine for sheet metal and paint work but not so good with the finesse you need when working on these cars.

I had dings fixed and paint done on both passenger side doors. They removed door panels and exterior door handles in the process.

Brought it home last night with interior lights that won't turn off and a passenger front door that won't lock, electrically or manually.

Never a problem with any aspect of this car. I had to coach them through quality paint work and they aren't getting a 2nd shot at wrecking my Fleetwood.

So i suspect it is 1 or 2 minor issues (trapped linkage, door handle light switch?) but I have heard the door panels are tricky to remove. Any advice and/or links to previous posts on the topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks folks!

Here is the procedure from the shop manual:

Front Door

Remove or disconnect:

1. Battery negative cable (not sure why)
  2. Bezel bolt/screw behind foor release handle
  3. Bezel assembly (contains speaker and door lock switch)
  4. Electrical connectors from bezel assembly
  5. Switch assembly (window and seat position switches) Insert screwdriver under forward edge of switch assembly to disengage spring clip. Slide switch assembly forward and up to remove.
  6. Eleectrical connectors from switch assembly.
  7. Pull handle bolts (2) - these are behind the door pull handle - one each side.
  8. Using a trim removal tool, disengage the door panel from the door. Start at the bottom and work around the door.
  9. Electrical connector from door courtesy lights.

The procedure is the same for the rear door panel.

The installation is the reverse of removal.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that info. Sorry I didn't acknowledge sooner.

I got the panel off and found more to fix. LOL.

For the benefit of others on this board, this is what I found regarding the lock that didn't work and the dome lights that would not turn off.

The lock linkage was simply bound up. By the time I got the bezels off the problem was fixed. I suspect they didn't have the lock linkage properly inserted in the manual lock button, trapping it.

The dome light problem was a little more involved. I had to disassemble the door handle (external) and remove the lock from the door. The problem was the clip that locks the lock to the door sheet metal. It has a switch on it that is part of the alarm system. With the clip fully installed to hold the lock on the door, that switch is depressed and the system is happy. The body shop did not fully install that (yeah it is a bear and requires some ingenuity) so the switch was not depressed and the dome lights stayed lit.

Once I figured that out it was just a matter of putting it back together properly including some epoxy work on the rather delicate standoffs on the bottom of the door panel.

So it is together and all is good! Thanks for the help with the door panel procedure. They left so many of the fasteners detached from the panel it was easier that it sounded.

I have another subject I want to tackle but will look for info on that separately. If I don't find it, I will be posting another topic.

Thanks again. You guys are a ton help.

Archived