CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Altered a socket to empty coolant out radiator drain plug

winterset

I wanted to change the coolant on my '96 Deville. Its been 4 years since the last time i changed it. I took out the airbox, and i couldn't turn the drain (at the bottom on the drivers side radiator). I took a mismatch 1/4 drive bit socket from the bottom of my toolbox, used my dremmel, and made a slit in the front, and placed the bit on the drain, lined up the slit, and unracheted the plastic drain off. I got 2 gallons out. Filled it with 1 gallon of distilled, and 1 gallon of GM approved Dexcool. The prestone dexcool was $17.99 a gallon! Ouch

Then i made another round of turkey basting the power steering fluid out, and filled it with fresh blue ps fluid.

I think all the fluids in the car are less than 6 months old now. I decided not to put the baars stop leak in yet.

It took 2 cooling cycles to let me put in the full 2 gallons into the surge tank. I am good for another 4 years on the coolant and by that time the car will be 23 years old!!

I have a 9/16 socket I modified for the wing type plugs. Works great as long as you are careful. It is always good to change out some power steering fluid

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Before i started the swap 2 weeks ago, the old power steering fluid was a brown/black color and smelled burnt. I never had a problem with the steering system. That was the 4th batch to suck out, and now it looks like a light amber color. All i want is another 18 trouble free years!

Archived