CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2001 Seville with interior lighting gremlins

runwayjmj

The overhead switch will work the courtesy lighting on doors and footwells. While it is a little worn, it does work. But when you open the door the same lights do not come on. Second issue, don't know if it is related, none of the backlit dash lighting works when the headlights come on. I have changed out the headlight switch(dimmer control), and both the 53 and 54 relays in the fuse box under the rear seat. No change. Any ideas as to what switch/fuse/relay controls door opening lighting, and dash lights?

When the headlights come on, the dimmer comes into play. Check the wiring and connector to the dimmer. In particular you should look and make sure that the terminals in the connector are tight.

The doors have sensor switches in the latches and locks that tell the BCM to turn on the courtesy lights. Either the switch or wiring can be the problem.

Are there any OBD codes?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

You can check it anytime by putting a clipboard or other opaque cover on top of the sun sensor, or by turning on the headlights manually.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Possibly not; it's easy to misinterpret the workings of the twilight sensor.

Archived