CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1931 V12 Cadillac To Appear At Mecum Indy Auction

Cadillac was the epitome of American class in the 1930s. While #2 behind Packard, Cadillac had introduced a V16 in 1930 that brought the brand to new heights. It followed in 1931 with a V12—another new configuration for the brand—that gave Cadillac a troika of prestige in a very prestigious class. One of these V12s will be hitting the block at Mecum’s Original Spring Classic 2014 in Indy.

The Indy location is somewhat fitting as the Cadillac V12 was the pace car for the Indianapolis 500 in 1931. Measuring 368 cid, the V12 put out 135 silent horsepower. That’s mighty low compared to our modern sensibilities, but don’t forget that they didn’t have the gas back then to run high-compression heads.

1931-Cadillac-v12-Fleetwood-Mecum-Indy-6

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Have any idea what this jewel is worth or will bring Bruce .Now I think I have found something better than a small V-8 ,a small block V-12. The smoothest running engine ever I have heard.Do you know if any of these engines found their way into fighter planes in the day.I know some Caddy engines found their way into tanks.Someone please enlighten me !!!!

A nice V8 in this era can go $150-195K; a true V-16 in original or well restored condition may start at $250K-$300K

The V-12/V16 came along in 1929 so between wars.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived