CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

API Grades

Ed Fenwick

Yes, I think it started with SA (S = gasoline engine oil) and CA (C = diesel oil). I'm not sure what the C oils are up to, but the S oils are up to SL. The next would be SM I would imagine. If you're required to use at least SG (which was just the latest at the time of the manual's printing), anything SG or higher (SH, SJ, SL, etc) works in its place.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Yes, SM seems to be correct. These new oils will have greatly reduced amounts of ZDDP (the anti-wear package) but have higher amounts of moly to compensate. The SM oils will also require much better base stocks to prevent engine wear. The ZDDP in SL oils can eventually "poison" a CAT, particularly in engines using more oil than normal. The real kicker comes when GF-4 oils are introduced. These oils WILL NOT be backward compatible! They (API) may jump the GF-4's to SX grade to ensure they are clearly discernable from the oils available today.

Then the REAL fun begins...less and less SL/SM will be available and eventually dissapear altogether.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

These oils WILL NOT be backward compatible! They (API) may jump the GF-4's to SX grade to ensure they are clearly discernable from the oils available today.

Then the REAL fun begins...less and less SL/SM will be available and eventually dissapear altogether.

Johhny G, are you saying the GF4 oils will not be usable in "todays" cars? :o

Let me elaborate a little Larry. The only way to achive GF-4 will be to make them about a 0W-20....and on the thin side at that. Can't put that stuff in a flat tappet (cam follower) NS. The engines designed for it will be OK, like the Fords or Hondas calling for the thin stuff today.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived