CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Codes, codes, codes?

IceCreamisOK

Hello everyone, new to the forum and I just bought a 1998 Cadillac Seville SLS, very nice car. However, the dash shows a message "speed limited to 90mph".

I ran the OnBoard diagnostic, and received these codes:

ABS C1252

ABS U1255

PCM P1520

PCM P1611 (history)

PCM P1652

RIM B1009

So, I have no idea what any of these mean. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

ABS
C1252 Left Front Normal Force Malfunction
U1255 Class 2 Communication Malfunction (Serial Data Line Malfunction)

PCM
P1520 Transmission Range Switch Circuit
P1611 Loss of CVRTD Serial Data (HISTORY)
P1652 Powertrain Induced Chassis Pitch (Lift/Dive) Output Circuit

RIM
B1009 EEPROM Checksum Error

Since you label only one of these as HISTORY, then you seem to be saying that all the others are CURRENT. First, the abbreviations:

ABS == anti-lock braking system

PCM == powertrain control module

RIM == rear integration module

CVRTD == continously variable real-time damping (electronic shocks and struts)

EEPROM == electrically eraseable programmable read-only memory

The C1252, P1611, and P1652 are related and possibly the result of a network problem. The U1255 indicates a problem that may be the network problem that is causing the other codes. I would start with looking at the connectors and wiring for the front position sensors and the big connector to the EBTCM.

The P1520 indicates a problem with the adjustment of one of the cables on the shifter. If the cable adjustment is OK, the switch that provides shifter position to the PCM may be bad.

The B1009 probably means that the battery was disconnected recently. Unless this code is CURRENT, I would ignore it for now. If it is CURRENT, you should make sure that the fuses, connectors and grounds associated with the RIM are all good, and if you don't fix the code that way, look into replacing the RIM. I don't have experience with RIM problems; someone who does and has seen a B1009 will likely chip in.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

That's what we do here. But, we are just getting started. Keep us posted.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

The road force estimation is a function of the RSS, the module that controls the electrically controlled damping and the ride height. I believe that its main input for road force estimation is the ride height sensors on each of the four wheels. There are two lines for sending this data to the EBTCM to assist in the ABS function, one for the left front wheel and one for the right front wheel.

The 1997 FSM, pages 5E2-108 through 110 addresses C1252. The code is set when data sent between the CVRSS module and the EBTCM fails a sanity check. This data is sent on WHT and GRA wires from the CVRSS module, which go to C101, where the signals emerge on BRN an dLT GRN wires which go to the EBTCM. The first check is for breaks or shorts in these connections and wires.

Archived