CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

i've never seen this before

ROCKnROLL

i have a 97 seville (sls) with 100,000 miles.

the car is great except the northstar engine uses way too much oil.

the other day i was following the wife who was driving the seville on the expressway. we were cruising between 65 & 70.

about every 10 to 15 miles a large puff of smoke would shoot out the dual exhaust. it seem to last a couple of seconds.

then eveything would be alright until 10 or 15 more miles and bam! another cloud of smoke would come shooting out.

does this indicate trouble ahead or just normal for an oil burning engine?

thanks

I have no idea what could be causing this, but it is not normal. Kinda sounds like oil pooling somewhere then getting sucked in. That would lead me to think pooling in the intake but I can't imagine where it would come from.

On second thought, maybe a bad FPR?

the car is great except the northstar engine uses way too much oil.

How much oil is "way too much oil"? More than 1 quart every 1000 miles? A high performance engine like the Northstar will use some oil. 1 qt./1000 miles is considered the threshold (defined by GM) of normal vs. problematic.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

As jadcock says, you have to tell us what you mean by way too much oil. All Northstars use way too much oil. With troubleshooting, the first, you must find out is the smoke oil or is it something else, so the first thing is determing whether or not your car is using oil.

Check your cooling system. If the smoke is white it could be a head gasket deteriorating and coolant is leaking into the engine. Also make sure you're not overfilling oil anticipating it burning.

A good rule is to add oil only until it is at the midpoint of the dipstick, not beyond.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived