CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Thermostat, 2000 Deville

Gentlemen,

Recently I observed that I have to set the temp on the heater control to 78 + or higher to get adquate heat delivered to the passenger compartment. Previously, 74 - 75 would deliver comfortable temps. Could this be due to an aging, original thermostat? If so, what's the difficulty in R & R of the thermostat?

Thanks much for any responses.

Steve M.

....Could this be due to an aging, original thermostat?

Only IF you notice the coolant temperature gauge is not reaching the normal operating position (as in vertical, or 12 o'clock).

If so, what's the difficulty in R & R of the thermostat?
No more or less difficult than any other automobile thermostat. Just be sure to purchase the original equipment GM or ACDelco part; generic aftermarket parts do not always duplicate the unique design specifications.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks for the response. I'll be more observant and take note of where the temp gauge rests at normal operating temperature. I'll also have to look at the accessibility to the thermostat before I attempt any R & R; crowded under that hood. Are you aware of anything else that would cause the problem I described; temp needing to be set on 78-80 to get decent heat?

I was going to attempt to replace the spark plugs until I visited the local dealer and observed, but couldn't even see, where they were located! The dealer mechanic working on a 2000 DeVille, strongly suggested I might want to consider having someone younger, more agile, and with appropriate tools replace the plugs for me.

Steve M.

....I'll also have to look at the accessibility to the thermostat before I attempt any R & R; crowded under that hood. Are you aware of anything else that would cause the problem I described; temp needing to be set on 78-80 to get decent heat?
It is close quarters under there.

Your HVAC system uses a number or electric actuators to position the various doors that control interior temperature and air flow method. A partial or total failure of one of those actuators can upset the balance.

Sometimes a failure will set a Diagnostic Trouble Code and having that code will simplify your diagnosis. There are instructions for displaying the codes somewhere on this board. Codes for HVAC have a "B" prefix.

I was going to attempt to replace the spark plugs until I visited the local dealer and observed, but couldn't even see, where they were located! The dealer mechanic working on a 2000 DeVille, strongly suggested I might want to consider having someone younger, more agile, and with appropriate tools replace the plugs for me.
If agility and tool ownership is the problem, that might be good advice. The front bank is a stroll in the park but the rear bank requires removal of considerable plumbing belonging to the AIR system.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Measure the temperature of the inlet and outlet heater hoses near the firewall. They should be very close to the same temperature. If the outlet is colder than the inlet, the core is restricted and will need to be backflushed.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived