CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Scanners

Paul S

Hello All

I have a code on my 99' STS of B1344 indicating a heater/defroster actuator fault. The factory shop manual indicates that one of the steps toward correcting the problem would be to re-calibrate or re-progam the mode actuator. The manual says this requires a scanner to do this.

My question: Is this scanner a specialized tool that only the "good wrench" folks posess or is this something that I can pick up from Autozone under their tool loner program? Or if not, where would I get one and what would be the estimated cost of it?

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Paul S

Most cheaper aftermarket scanners are a read-only powertrain data tool. Some only display powertrain codes, some will display powertrain live data. More expensive aftermarket scanners can access other systems. But typically those have reversed engineered software.

The GM Tech2 is a bi-direction tool that can easily access all the different computer systems on a GM vehicle. So to recalibrate the actuator, you really would need access to a Tech2.

The Tech2 is a several thousand dollar tool. You may be able to buy one used for $1000. The fire sale on Tech2's was in 2008-2009 when hundreds of GM dealers closed.

Please be aware there are a glut of Chinese copies on eBay. Strange but true...

post-2-0-41880000-1348512736_thumb.jpg

Archived