CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1984 eldo conversion 4.1 to 4.9

DABOSS

hi new to these forums but by far not to classic caddys. i own 5 eldos. im looking for spec info for a 1984 trans mount fwd 4.1 to a 4.9 conversion. this car cannot be converted to rear wheel drive. eveyone on the net says just pop it in lol. it is by far not just pop it in. my father a grease monkey of 42 yrs says nay. although the tranny should just bolt up its pretty much the same as the 4.5 and 4.9s.what info im lacking is the oil return info. does he need to change the baffle in the pan? with out the right info you can pop this in start it and blow the motor. ive found a site that sells motors ready to go and bolt in for what i want to do. but with a person who can save me around 1400$ why would i go the other route?ive heard everything from i have to change the oil pump to this and that to this. i scanned these forums and you guys seem pretty solid with your info. any and all info would be great and get as tech as you want also. l8rs DABOSS

The '84 Eldorado's 4.1 engine is mounted longitudnally. The 4.5/4.9 engines are a transverse engine and the block is different. No way will one of those engines "bolt right up" in the '84 Eldorado.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The '84 Eldorado's 4.1 engine is mounted longitudnally. The 4.5/4.9 engines are a transverse engine and the block is different. No way will one of those engines "bolt right up" in the '84 Eldorado.

Well, you could take the liners and crank from a 4.5/4.9 and put it into a longitudinally 4.1 block and make it work that way. But when it's all said and done, it would have been easier to just go get an Olds 402 to put in its place.

IPB Image

i beg to differ it has been done...... and an online motor company sells a 4.9 motor and 4.5 that will bolt right in hence the modded mounts that come with motor. they also knew 100% this was a fwd also. and they did ask for my vin # to make sure i wasnt an idoit with my info. what i lack are the specs for the oil return info so i can have a local machine shop do this. so the motor wont blow due to not enough oil. why am i going through all this i have 3 4.5s and 2 4.9s just sitting around. so i have no money out on motors etc. they have been pickled, and some have very low milage one has around 44k org miles. my life would be easier if i could convert it to rear wheel drive lol. then again the motor would just pop in lol.

i beg to differ it has been done...... and an online motor company sells a 4.9 motor and 4.5 that will bolt right in hence the modded mounts that come with motor. they also knew 100% this was a fwd also. and they did ask for my vin # to make sure i wasnt an idoit with my info. what i lack are the specs for the oil return info so i can have a local machine shop do this. so the motor wont blow due to not enough oil. why am i going through all this i have 3 4.5s and 2 4.9s just sitting around. so i have no money out on motors etc. they have been pickled, and some have very low milage one has around 44k org miles. my life would be easier if i could convert it to rear wheel drive lol. then again the motor would just pop in lol.

Keep us apprised on this since I have yet to hear of this done.

IPB Image

So what is the name of the online company???

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

caddillac nicks was one local place that did this in tampa fl. he is no longer in bizz. the site i will have to find again have it written done and this was 2-3 yrs ago who knows due to this great economy if its even around. im also going to start hitting some perfomance shops in my area to see if they have this info or could get it. im sure ill have to bone up some cash for this info. l8rs

Archived