CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

12" rotors

joeb

found a 96 eldo in junkyard with 12" rotors. i also saw a 94 eldo with 11" rotors. Both cars had different style lower control arms. I know the 98 Seville got 12" rotors as did the eldo but I thought the 96 eldo should have 11" rotors like my Seville? Maybe someone swapped out the parts from a donor car? I wonder if the bigger rotors give marginally better stopping? Maybe it was a mid year change on Seville/eldo cars and I just missed out?

post-418-0-08254100-1343677862_thumb.jpg

i thought perhaps the 96 eldo parts could swap out with a 96 seville. but since this car is a july 96 build, it might have 97 eldo parts. the 97 eldo went to the 12" rotor. the lower control arm is different and the ball joint is slightly different. so i probably cannot use the spindle to mount the proper caliper bracket/caliper to work. does a 97 eldo stop any better than a 96 eldo?

i see the larger rotors do not use all the surface area for pad contact. it seems the designers are leaving a bit of pad grip unused. i notice how most bmw rotors are a larger diameter and the inner "hat" section is small so more of the rotor area is used to provide better brake performance. most folks agree the bmw cars stop great. its pretty simple. big rotors, big pads, multiple piston calipers. not too hard to design that. maybe gm thinks a heavy car like the seville or dts does not need big brakes. but they did break down and finally put nice brakes on the cts-v.

post-418-0-15410100-1343737432_thumb.jpg

If the actual area swept by the rotors is about the same...you really wouldn't gain much braking force.

It would be a lot of work for not much... if any... gain.

Posted Image

The inside of 1 of my front rotors is scored. Feels rough. I am sure that is causing my brake rumble. The 12" rotors on the 97+ eldo's is interesting though. I will check out some 98+ sevilles to see if the swept area is similar to the 1 car I found. Do the 97 eldo pads and 2k Seville pads have the same grip area?

post-418-0-12046900-1343765334_thumb.jpg

I see the prices for aftermarket 11" rotors is $$. The 12" rotors are the same. I replaced the rotors in 05? New stock rotors should work fine for my driving needs.

The inside of 1 of my front rotors is scored. Feels rough. I am sure that is causing my brake rumble. The 12" rotors on the 97+ eldo's is interesting though. I will check out some 98+ sevilles to see if the swept area is similar to the 1 car I found. Do the 97 eldo pads and 2k Seville pads have the same grip area?

That rotor does not look good...

It needs turning or replacing...

Here is a picture of mine a few eeeks ago when I replaced all my pads at 110,000 miles..

It was still real smooth.

20120408_121228.jpg

Posted Image

Changed my rotors. Smooth. Funny how you don't notice something that gradually wears out. I had a brake pulse all of a sudden. Found I had 1 loose tierod. Rumble did not seem better. I zeroed in on rotor and problem is fixed. Do u have 2 piston calipers?

• 2 weeks later...

ironic. my left spindle has a slightly loose wheel bearing. i over tightened the caliper bolt a few years ago and i think the caliper is borderline loose. my spindle is threaded to accept the 2 caliper bolts and does not have a separate caliper bracket like newer gm cars. i can get a used spindle with bearing at boneyard for $10. or get a 97 or newer one for same price and be 1/2 halfway done with getting 12" rotors. i occasionally hear a clunk from front brakes when i back up. i blame it on the "loose" caliper bolt. maybe it is the reason and maybe not. i don't really want to try and use a helicoil on the spindle for the bolt. and i dont really want to change the spindle. or maybe i do? i still dont know if the newer spindle will bolt up to my control arm.

Changed my rotors. Smooth. Funny how you don't notice something that gradually wears out. I had a brake pulse all of a sudden. Found I had 1 loose tierod. Rumble did not seem better. I zeroed in on rotor and problem is fixed.

Do u have 2 piston calipers?

Yes.. the calipers on my car have two pistons.

Posted Image

I see the HD limos use a bigger bearing? The rotor has a larger hat section? Seems the wheel hubs cost 750 or so. None likes to pay to change them. My friend has Infiniti g35 and the sport model has 15" rotors. Whew.

97 spindle is different than 96. seems to be lighter. maybe cast steel vs cast iron? ball joint diameter is slightly larger. maybe 1/8" bigger. the spacing for 2 large strut bolts are about 1/2" further apart. so taken together, it seems 97 part will not easily fit onto 96 or older car. if you changed strut also, maybe that would fix one issue. could a 97 balljoint be swapped onto a 96 control arm? well, it was a learning experience for me. i did get the spindle/bearing off donor car without much effort. $9 is pretty cheap for that. axle splined pushed out easily. sometimes they seize up and can be a pain to remove without axle puller.

Archived