CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Gentelmen,

In a recent post I outlined my problem with the fuel guage on my 200 Deville. Reads full one minute, 1/4 the next. I did try the Chevron Techron Concentrate application that was recommend in the Forum, twice with no luck.

I've located a 2003 DTS at the local salvage yard, and considered replacing my fuel pump with the one in the 2003 to save a few bucks.; they'll guarantee the part. Any comments on this would be appreciated.

Also, I understand the R&R is not too difficult: Remove the mat in the trunk, and there's an access panel that will allow me easy access to the fuel pump. Sounds almost too easy to be true! Comments, and estimated time to complete this repair will also be appreciated.

Finally had our electric restored after being without for six long days. Fourtunately, I have a 6000 watt generator that did keep a lot of the conveniences operational - - - especially the sump pump. Sure do miss that city living!

Regards to all.

Steve M

Fuel level sensor you should have a p0463 code.I think the sensor is with they fuel sending unit.not sure if you can change the sensor separately .I have the same problem too.

sts03

Clarification: The defective fuel sensor is in my 2000 DeVille! I am not getting any code displayed. The only symptom is an erratic reading on the amount of fuel in the tank.

Steve M.

Clarification: The defective fuel sensor is in my 2000 DeVille! I am not getting any code displayed. The only symptom is an erratic reading on the amount of fuel in the tank.

Steve M.

Gentlemen:

I've lookd on-line for a new, fuel pump, vs. just replacing the fuel sensor as recommended here in The Post. There are multiple fuel pumps offered by the year/model and VIN number. Can anyone tell me how to select the proper fuel pump for my 2000 DeVille, VIN #: 1 G 6 K D 5 4 Y 5 Y U 2 4 1 0 0 5 and recommend a source? Or, should I pull the old pump and take it to the local Auto Zone, etc.? Again, looks like the R&R is too simple to be true!

Steve...

I would call my local Cadillac dealer with the VIN number and get the RIGHT OEM part number and maybe the AC DELCO part number if he had it.

"THEN" you will know which one is right for your car..

Here is some info from AMAZON on the pump for a 2000 Deville...

BrandACDelco

Manufacturer Part Number 215480

OEM Part Number25770944

http://www.amazon.co...Type=automotive

Posted Image

Jim,

The pic you referred me to is an Air Injection Pump; I spoke witht the dealer and he confirmed that. Did I say "If it lookds too easy, it is"? These fuel pump costs are coming in anywhere from $110.00 , all the way up to $540.00 (OEM # 19180115) from the dealer. I really need to do some homework.

I've read that the DeVille has a history of fuel pump failures. Consequently, I'm reluctant to pick up a used one, and go through the labor twice.

Steve M.

I'll be picking up a replacement fuel pump from the local Auto Zone store for wife's 2000 DeVille in the next day or so. I've elected to purchase the new pump locally vs. on-line, to avoid any problems with compatibility of the part. Texas Jim advised me to also obtain the OEM part number from my local Cad dealer which I've done. Dealer price was approx. $523.00! I think the Auto Zone part is around $100.00.

Can anyone direct me to a site that will give me some specific instructions, guidance, diagrams, etc. on the installation of the new pump? I don't like surprises when I'm out there in the 90+ degree heat! From recent responses in the Forum, I understand that the pump can be accessed through the trunk. I assume that once I remove the trunk mat, I'll be able to locate the panel that will allow me access to the fuel pump. And, at first blush, it looks like I may have to remove the spare tire and other items out of the well in the trunk? Lots of assumptions, I know. Another concern: Will I need any exceptinally long extensions on my ratchet wrench to reach the pump?

Any responses will be appreciated. Thanks much.

Steve M.

Fuel level sensor you should have a p0463 code.I think the sensor is with they fuel sending unit.not sure if you can change the sensor separately .I have the same problem too.

If your going to replace the sensor replace the whole pump while your at it/ I wouldnt use junk yard pumps because they too have a lot of mi. on them and will be prone to failure. A pump really isnt thst expensive its a Cadillac do the job right. I did and it solved the gas guage going crazy. The pump I installed I got form Rock Auto. A little over two hundred dollars. I have a 98 Deville and the mechanic had to remove the tank about 150.00 labor.. Its spot on now..I'm not a fan of junkyard parts, as you can see..Good luck with your repair.

Don

Mike,

Thanks for the advice. I'll pick up the new pump this week and look for a new wiring connector in the package.

Steve M.

Mike,

Thanks for the advice. I'll pick up the new pump this week and look for a new wiring connector in the package.

Steve M.

airmike is right make sure you use the new harness. You may have to refer to the wiring diagram for your car because those color coded wires didnt match up on mine and the mechanic had to use one but he got it right. You'll find that the new pump will put your gas gauge spot on.

• 3 years later...

Archived