CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Low beams not working simultaneously on both headlights 01 deville

smfjim3

I put a new bulb in my right headlight 2001 deville (low-beam, 9006 sylvania) the right fit and now both my headlight low beams wont work with the new or old bulbs, but the high beams do. I switched the fuse with another in the car to see if it was a bad or blown fuse. No luck. However I think there is another fuse box next to the battery under the back seat and i didnt bother checking to see if there was another low beam fuse there because i figured it was a back up and didnt make a difference. But How else dose this happen? Any help would be much appreciated!

You should begin by running the OBD codes using the A/C buttons and the DIC to tell you what may be happening. See the link in my signature block for instructions on how to do this. Write the codes down and post them here.

My FSM doesn't cover 1998 or newer Devilles and Sevilles but in the interest of a prompt reply I will give you what I have. Something like headlight wiring from the 1997 FSM is very likely to be accurate for your car.

The IPC signal from the dimmer switch comes through the 10 Amp Mirror fuse in the engine comparment fuse/relay center.

The headlight low beams won't come on unless either the twilight sentinel says that it's dark, or you turn it off by pushing the delay slider all the way to the left and over the detent. When my car was new, I questioned mine at the service counter and the guy leaned in and put his clipboard over my twilight sensor and the low beams came on, clarifying beyond all doubt that mine was OK.

There is one more override in my circuit - when I turn on my wipers, the headlights come on. That surely applies to your car because that's the law in many states. I just didn't know that my car did that until now. :mellow:

The high-low beam realy in the engine compartment is powered by the 10 Amp RADIO/PHONE fuse in the trunk compartment fuse block. The relay is turned on by grounding the actuation solenoid through the PZM. If you have no PZM codes then that is OK.

Each headlamp has its own 10 Amp fuse in the engine compartment fuse/relay center.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Is your headlamp dimmer switch stuck in the hi-beam position? Does it have any effect?

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived