CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

aamco for trans rebuild?

acklac7

Yeah after checking the svc. manual I realized that it wasn't that big of a deal. When I talked to the head tech he said that I could take a look at/keep the old flywheel. I guess they didn't mess my car up that bad Man I want to crawl under a rock...Thanks Scotty & everyone else for helping me out.

A.J.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flywheel is a much better scenario, maybe they forgot to tighten the bolts from the flywheel to the convertor and they ripped out, at this point however, the threads in the convertor could have been damaged and you may need a new convertor also...... when they have the convertor our check the bolt holes for thread problems and the aluminum castings in the area for cracking/damage. You did hear a grinding noise if the flywheel twisted the teeth could have done some damage. You also tried to start the car when the flywheel was damaged, its possible that the starter drive teeth could be damaged. I would want to see the damage. You really don't want them to pull the intake at this point to inspect the starter, BUT you want to reserve the right to have them pay for the starter if its damaged, listen carefully to the starter to see if it sounds right...

That is probably the reason they went ahead and ordered the flywheel as its admittedly their mistake. When they reinstall the flywheel, make sure its torqued to proper specs at the crank and the convertor, again check those convertor threads, there are a lot of a**-hole mechanics that will cross thread the bolt and leave it that way. Also make sure they use the proper bolts at the convertor they were probably damaged and they are prolly #8 hardened bolts.

I would DEMAND that the best mechanic work on the car at this point. Knowing myself I would be there when they open this morning really pissed off. I would want to see the entire situation and inspect everything they messed up

Sounds like a good reputable shop that when they make a mistake they do not try to hide it and they fix what they screw up at their expense. Everyone makes mistakes, it is the one who takes responsibility for their mistakes that shine. Hope everything works out for you. I understand your frustration, I have been there several times, but the one thing I have learned is not to jump to conclusions until I have all the facts. It keeps your hair from getting prematurly gray. Good Luck.

Well she runs good...definitely not losing any power. But she just isn’t the same as she used to be...is this to be expected? For example when ever I would WOT right off the line I would get thrown all over the road. But when I would WOT just into second I would take off like a rocket ship and go straight. Now when I WOT in second it is similar to WOT in first...I have a hard time controlling the car..it tries to jerk to one side or the other. Also before I had the work done I could WOT in second and there would be like a split second delay and them WHAM!!!! now when I WOT in second there is no delay...just immediate power. She is up and running and I guess I could say she runs good, but it's just not the same. Also I did take a look at the flywheel, there is a perfect circle around the bolt pattern that cleanly broke off...The edges of the broken circle and the flywheel are both blue..Indicating it got real hot ...right? Also any differance between the 96' flywheel and the 95'? I noticed that the tag on my keys read "96 eldorado" I hope they didn’t put a 96' flywheel on it. As far as inspecting the parts before they installed them/checking for damage, I didnt get the chance. I received a phone call that it was ready, at that point I found out what was wrong...I never got the chance to check any of there work.And another thing...there claim was that it was cracked to begin with..and a tech missed the crack when re-installing it...Does this sound right? I belive they are trying to say it wasn't there fault..that it was broke to begin with..does it sound like a crack to you all? All in all I liked the head mechanic at the shop...I didn't get a real bad feeling from him and they gave me (before the flywheel falure) a 12 month unlimited mile warranty on everything, and a free fluid and filter change in a year. Also when I was leaving I noticed 2 other Northstars in the lot...made me feel a little better. And again... thanks for you help everyone...

A.J.

Well she runs good...definitely not losing any power. But she just isn’t the same as she used to be...is this to be expected? For example when ever I would WOT right off the line I would get thrown all over the road. But when I would WOT just into second I would take off like a rocket ship and go straight. Now when I WOT in second it is similar to WOT in first...I have a hard time controlling the car..it tries to jerk to one side or the other. Also before I had the work done I could WOT in second and there would be like a split second delay and them WHAM!!!! now when I WOT in second there is no delay...just immediate power. She is up and running and I guess I could say she runs good, but it's just not the same. Also I did take a look at the flywheel, there is a perfect circle around the bolt pattern that cleanly broke off...The edges of the broken circle and the flywheel are both blue..Indicating it got real hot ...right? Also any differance between the 96' flywheel and the 95'? I noticed that the tag on my keys read "96 eldorado" I hope they didn’t put a 96' flywheel on it. As far as inspecting the parts before they installed them/checking for damage, I didnt get the chance. I received a phone call that it was ready, at that point I found out what was wrong...I never got the chance to check any of there work.And another thing...there claim was that it was cracked to begin with..and a tech missed the crack when re-installing it...Does this sound right?  I belive they are trying to say it wasn't there fault..that it was broke to begin with..does it sound like a crack to you all?  All in all I liked the head mechanic at the shop...I didn't get a real bad feeling from him and they gave me (before the flywheel falure) a 12 month unlimited mile warranty on everything, and a free fluid and filter change in a year. Also when I was leaving I noticed 2 other Northstars in the lot...made me feel a little better. And again... thanks for you help everyone...

I am interested in what others have to say about the flywheel cracking like that, I have never heard of that happening before. If it was cracked, it would be easy to miss, its not something that a tech would normally look for as the flywheel stays attached to the engine, IMHO....

Personally I would take it easy on her for a few days and avoid the WOTs... but thats me... I am not surprised that she feels a little different to you, if they did the job right, its been cleaned really good, including the valve body, and a new load of fluid is now throughout the entire tranny. It may take a couple of days for the clutches to burnish a good surface, they are still new, I am sure it will change over the next few days and you will become more comfortable with it, realize that its also been a long time since you have driven it.

Have they seen a flywheel do that before? Glad you are back in action, its been a long road.... Mike

Yeah I think your right its not a real good idea to push the car right now. I did want to push it right after I picked it up for a few reasons. A. I figured that if they did mess something up it might not become apparent until I pushed the car hard. B. I wanted to make sure that I COULD make a rough maneuver (like punching it and changing lanes) I didn't want to wait until I had to push it hard (to avoid a accident or something) only to have something break then. And something did break...while I was performing a aggressive maneuver. Now the question is did I break it? or was it a defect in the part or a error in the repair? I have no idea...The shop did mention that they put all the "updates" in the trans. Maybe these along with a new torque converter messed with the old flywheel? I'd be interested what Guru would have to say. Haven't seen him in a while...I’m probably not the only one who feels he is sorely missed...(where’s Larry been anyway?)....And it has been a long dark road....this site and everyone on it are my headlights...I love my cadi and I love this site!

A.J.

IT is a great site isnt it... Larry is now Ranger... Guru has been around on and off, I saw him respond the other day.. You might want to post a post specifically to Guru referencing this thread, and asking him about the flywheel cracking, if anyone has seen it crack it would be him I am sure. I am glad you are back on the raod..... Mike

I'd be interested what Guru would have to say. Haven't seen him in a while...I’m probably not the only one who feels he is sorely missed...(where’s Larry been anyway?)....

I've never left, just changed my handle after the troll attack. I thought every one new that. I left my signature as a clue.

As for the flywheel , I have replaced one that cracked out in an old K series GMC JIMMY, it made some noise when it first cracked, and i replaced it before it completed broke out. The tranny shop , told me they replace flywheels a lot that are cracked but not yet broke completely out.

I've been out of town most of the summer...didn't catch the switch....I was wondering were you went. Also wasn't Guru being paid by Cadillac to help out in forums or something? I thought I read that a long time ago...on the old board. Anyway whats his story? He seemed to always have an answer for any question about the northstar....I bet he could rebuild one blindfolded.

Anyway I got the impression from the trans. shop that they were doing me a big favor...They didn't act like it was there fault, however I couldn't see them saying "yeah sorry you almost totaled your car because we improperly installed the flywheel ...This time were going to tighten the bolts correctly so it doesn't happen again". Also do you need to remove the flywheel in order to work on the trans? And what would cause the immediate area around the bolt pattern to get hot? any ideas?

A.J.

I've been out of town most of the summer...didn't catch the switch....I was wondering were you went. Also wasn't Guru being paid by Cadillac to help out in forums or something? I thought I read that a long time ago...on the old board. Anyway whats his story? He seemed to always have an answer for any question about the northstar....I bet he could rebuild one blindfolded.

Anyway I got the impression from the trans. shop that they were doing me a big favor...They didn't act like it was there fault, however I couldn't see them saying "yeah sorry you almost totaled your car because we improperly installed the flywheel ...This time were going to tighten the bolts correctly so it doesn't happen again". Also do you need to remove the flywheel in order to work on the trans? And what would cause the immediate area around the bolt pattern to get hot? any ideas?

Where did the flywheel crack near the center or near the outside of it? I am guessing that it cracked near the center. I wish you kept it and posted a picture of it. It may not have been their fault that it cracked. Mike

I didn't see a crack at all. I got a good look at both the flywheel and the metal disc that broke off. I didn't notice a crack...All I could see was a blue streak about a 1/4 of cm wide that made a perfect circle in the center of the flywheel. I looked as if it had rubbed up agianst something maybe?

A.J.

Thanks Guru!...

For the record....bbobynski does this on his own time and on his own dime....Cadillac knows not of him nor his presence on this or any forum...his comments reflect his own personal knowlege and opinion as he is not representing GM nor Cadillac nor getting paid to do this.

THANK YOU for donating your knoledge and time...it is priceless...Sorry about the insinuation that you were on here b/c cadillac was paying you to do so...Someone else posted that a while ago and I always had wonderd if that was true...BTW are you still working for GM?

A.J.

"For the record....bbobynski does this on his own time and on his own dime....Cadillac knows not of him nor his presence on this or any forum...his comments reflect his own personal knowlege and opinion as he is not representing GM nor Cadillac nor getting paid to do this."

And we appreciate your effort, experience, skills, and time.... Thank you!

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived