CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1997 sts rear shock replacement

I'm repalcing the rear shocks with the Arnott kit. The problem is when i try to loosen the top nut on the old shocks the shaft spins. I tried holding it with a allen socket, but that has rounded out as well. How is everyone removing these nuts from the shock? I was thinking of using a small die grinder to grind the nut, but i have to reuse the nut and the shocks bushing and plate. Any ideas?

Edited by mudweiser

Where can i buy elbow grease? I don't want to use any of mine!

I have had this problem and have used a VICE GRIP to grab and hold the shaft

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Got them replaced. I ended up letting the rear suspension hang, then with a swivel on my impact i just kept cranking on them. It took a while but the nut cam off. It did cost me a swivel from it binding up but the job is done. Those Arnott shocks are nice. One thing i found with the Arnott shocks was on the drivers rear shock the wires exit the Arnott shock are a 90 degree and face back into the coil spring. There is not way to change this and it puts a pretty good bend in the wires when you run the new wires to plug in. I called Arnott and they have never heard of this before. They only make one shock for the rear of this car and they are the same shock for each side. I told him about the problem and they sent me an e-mail stating i could make what ever changes to complete the install and they would warranty any damage for life. Nice, i don't think too many companies would do this. Now i need to get the front struts done.

Where can i buy elbow grease? I don't want to use any of mine!

I have had this problem and have used a VICE GRIP to grab and hold the shaft

x2, for future reference when removing bad parts never rule out methods that will ruin that part further. Of course chipping up a new shaft would ruin a shock but since you are removing it then clamping on a couple vice grips always works better than those stupid little allen head studs.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE