CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My sons' 1997 cadillac sls won't turn over or even click when you turn the key, the lights and the siren work but it won't even go out of park so we can move it. One man told me he had the same proble with a couple of cadillacs and it was one of 2 small wires going to the ignition swich he soider it and it worked. I have the air bag off but i am having trouble getting the steering wheel off with the pully I tighten it as far as i can and then hit the center with a hamer and it won't break loose I have tried to tighten it several times but I'm scared I might stip the thread on the steering wheel I have taken steering wheels off other cars before and never had a problem. Is there anything I need to know before I continue. I am leaving the pully on with pressure on it over night.

FIRST THING TO DO...

Pull the codes and post all the codes here.

That will give us a starting place for diagnosis.

You mentioned a "SIREN"..

These cars do not come with a siren...

This indicates that it has an aftermarket alarm system on it.

Aftermarket alarms are known to give troubles like you describe when they malfunction.

I would be disconnecting the aftermarket alarm..."THEN" see if there is still a problem.

Posted Image

Thanks texas jim but I misspoke before i said siren but it is the horn going of like some one is breaking into the car the security system I cut the wire going to the horn so we could work on it. I just need to know about taking the steering wheel off

If the lights go real dim when you try to crank the engine, the battery is shot. You could also measure the voltage before and during cranking with a DVM. If the battery is dead the voltage will drop to like 9v or so.

If the lights go real dim when you try to crank the engine, the battery is shot. You could also measure the voltage before and during cranking with a DVM. If the battery is dead the voltage will drop to like 9v or so.

Archived