CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Accessory Belt Came Off?

Cyrus

I was driving, and realized from the squeaking that my power steering was low. On the way to replace it, it went out. God, turning it without PS was a chore. Like, a ton. Anyway, drove it home, found that the accessory belt, or whatever the belt is that's stage left on the engine, was off. It's still intact though, just not on there. What do I need to do to get it back on? I couldn't find a diagram.

Cadillac ElDorado '94

Northstar

FSM_6-48.jpg

You need to find out what made the belt throw off. This should be simple to do while the belt is off. Make sure that the power steering pulley didn't seize and turns freely, for example. Look at the tensioner, and make sure that all the other pulleys turn free and don't wobble excessively.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thank you very much. I'll attempt to do this very shortly. I have a small oil leak, and there's oil everywhere, so if the pulleys work, I'd guess its from that.

EDIT: Everything turns freely, except the bigger pulley in the bottom left of the diagram. Wonderful. I don't know what that is, much less how to fix it. No new pcm codes to go from for me either.

EDIT: Nevermind. Obviously can't turn that by hand. Spins free when motor turns.

Thank you very much. I'll attempt to do this very shortly. I have a small oil leak, and there's oil everywhere, so if the pulleys work, I'd guess its from that.

EDIT: Everything turns freely, except the bigger pulley in the bottom left of the diagram. Wonderful. I don't know what that is, much less how to fix it. No new pcm codes to go from for me either.

Bottom left is the crankshaft ie the engine and You can´t turn that by hand, no. Check and fix the oilleak first - that is probably the cause!

Archived