CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

can anyone shed some light on why my wifes 3.6 is using so much oil. i have crawled over every inch of the engine compartment and there is no way this car is leaking. the rear valence isnt smutting up either as a typical smoking vehicle would. are the rings not seated because of the super slippery synthetic oil? is the oil vaporizing and blowing out the tailpipe without leaving any residue? can anyone please give me something to go on?

How much oil is it actually using...

1 quart every 2000 miles... 1 quart every 1000 miles... 1 quart every 500 miles???

What some people consider excessive, some other people accept as normal.

A modern vehicle can use a fair amount of oil and there is never a trace of it in the tailpipe,

The Catalytic Converter completely burns it up.

I would get worried if mine started using any oil at all, because it has never used any in almost 100,000 miles.

Posted Image

Jim,

I am surprised that you of all people did not recommend a WOT exercise.

tanjachris,

For starters, just take you car to an open highway (in the daytime), any accelerate aggressively - and check out your rearview mirror for signs of soot blowing out your tailpipe. If there is, please read up on WOT & run it.

• 2 weeks later...

My '05 STS-V8 uses 1 quart every 1000 miles. Between oil changes I will add 8 quarts, so it actually might be slightly more. However, I don't see any blue smoke out the tailpipe. Lately I've been giving it the WOT treatment and it seems to have helped performance in that gas mileage per mile has increased .10 and response is better.

Archived