CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'95 Seville ignition coil packs not firing

I have a '95 Seville STS, I originally replaced the #7-8, and the #1-4 ignition coil packs because they were barely firing (I used an extra plug and wire to see if there was any spark, it produced a very slight arc to a ground point). I replaced the two affected coil packs 3 weeks ago, and the car ran like it was new again. A few days ago, it started running bad again. I checked the 2 remaining packs, put a new $100 plug wireset, another new set of plugs, fuel system cleaner, fuel and air filters, and did a complete injector and rail cleaning, only to get 7mpg. I spent all nite checking vacuum lines, connections and performing other tests. I finally checked the 2 new coil packs only to find out that they are not producing any spark whatsoever, I exchanged them under their warranties, but to my embarassment, the 2 new ones are not firing either. Could someone !PLEASE! let me know what tests or checks I need to perform, or is it as simple as a fuse or code reset. These part store books are no help and the local mechanics all want to run $75 dollar diagnostic tests just to SEE if they can tell if there is a problem. (the local auto electric business folded about 5 years ago and the only 2 dealerships in town are Toyota and Ford) I would have to take out a bank loan for fuel to drive the 128 miles, on 4 cylinders(1-way) to the nearest Cadillac dealership. ANY suggestions from anyone having knowledge about this topic, would be greatly appreciated. THANK-YOU

You don't have to pay someone to run diagnostics on your Cadillac...

Diagnostics are built it.

Pull the codes from the dash and post them here...

That will give us a place to start on helping you fix the problem.

Posted Image

Thanks Texas Jim, sorry I forgot to list the codes. They run as follows: 1.{P012-History}-2.{P056-Current(had this code for the last 5 years)}-3.{P083-Current}, other than the codes that come up after a battery disconnect, these 3 have been the only codes that display since the problem. ANY help or thoughts would certainly help tremendously. Thanks again

Sorry about leaving out those details, first of all the codes & defs. were (P056-current:Trans. input speed sensor{I've dealt w/this about 5 years now}) & (P083-current: crankshaft to ignition module failure). The P083 code above, I got from (Cadillac-on-Board DTC's site) this morning. However, my Haynes manual list the P083 code as :24x reference signal too high.

Also, last monday afternoon, I had to replace the waterpump, and I had to use an impact wrench for about 30-seconds, just to break it free. Tuesday morning, the coil pack problem was presenting itself. I've rechecked everything I could and replugged all the connections I could find, in case I jarred something externally.

Is there a way to check the ICM with a multi-meter, or will I just have to buy 1 & try it? And is there a place to get a list of parameters, so I can run the cars diagnostic test and compare the #'s? Any advice on ANY thing would be greatly appreciated. THANK-YOU!!

Since you replaced the water pump one night... and it was running fine then... and it wasn't running fine the next morning...and you now have a crankshaft sensor code...

(P083-current: crankshaft to ignition module failure).

Check the crankshaft sensors for any loose or disconnected plugs.

Also check them and make REAL SURE that water didn't get in the connections from when you replaced the water pump.

I would do that before getting an ICM... unless the ICM was pretty cheap.

You already replaced two coils that didn't help anything...

Posted Image

Archived