CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

i have four questions about a 93 Seville STS 4.6L

JordanLW

1. My passanger side brake light is really and I'm surprised I haven't been pulled over for it and anyhelp about the would be nice the plug for the light has what appear to be burn marks

2. The left blink works perfect sometimes and other it blinks once or twice then quits my guess is its prolly teid to problem one

3. My dash is telling me to service ride control and I have no idea where to begin and it had sat for about a year before we got it

4. It starts warming up to about 223 when stopped at lights with only been driving for 20 to 30 minutes and I just replaced radiator and thermostat no to sure what to do next

And thanks for any help or wisdom you can offer

I'm sorry but I am having a hard time understanding your first question.

On your third, "Service ride control", means that your electronic damper shocks and struts are no longer functional to specs. If it's like my old 93 Seville, it still rode fine, just had that annoying message. On my 93 Seville, I was able to suppress the message with a relay in the trunk. You would have to Google for it as I do not recall how it was done but can tell you that it could be done on that model. I had to take a 30AMP universal relay, tie it into an ignition controlled circuit, and sliced it into a wire on one of the controllers on the back of the back seat.

As far as heating up, have you checked to make sure that your electric cooling fans are activating when they are supposed to. They say that the cooling fans are for when a vehicle is moving at less than 30 mph.

I hope that helps some.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

A ground issue*

Electrical issues can be unpleasant at best. I have seen dim lit bulbs on three wire sockets with a grounding issue. The bulb somehow back feeds negative on one of the switchable positive (one tail and one brake) wires. The easiest that I have found is to pull the bulb from the tail light assembly and establish a good ground to it. Find a bolt that is grounded in the trunk area and pin some wire in it. Then use a pin or nail to pock the wire insulation of the ground wire on the socket. If the light lights to normal brightness, you have a bad ground. Then just use creativity to establish that as a permanent ground.

Of course this is all some shadetree advise from when I was younger.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

with burn marks and dim lights I would check and make sure it is the correct bulb. There are many different part numbers for bulbs that will fit in the same socket but not work the same. Check your owners manual or parts store for the correct bulb. It may have the wrong wattage bulb and also wrong style so the blinker wont work right. Otherwise Id say the blinker relay is starting to crap out.

Overheating: are your fans working properly? If not, could be your temp sensor. Unplug it and see if they turn on. Atleast one should be on by the stated 223 degrees.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Where is the temp sensor?

coolant temperature sensor. Like I said this is only if the fans dont turn on at the right time. I know the sensor is on the back head on the drivers side on the late 90s northstars so maybe its the same on yours. look below and behind the throttle body, its plugged into the head, I think 2 wire plug, pop it off and the fans should turn on. This lets you know the fans and relays work and that the sensor does not.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

223 degrees is not a problem as long as the electric fan(s) come on at some point. If it drops back to the 200 degree mark while driving at highway speed, it could be the fans aren't coming on when they should.

Your tail light issue sounds like the sockets need to be replaced on the side that is dim.

Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER or OFF and PASSENGER WARMER buttons and the onboard diagnostics will display the trouble codes on the driver information sensor. Write them down and post back. The codes will provide clues to what is causing the service ride control message.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I missed the part about the burned socket. I agree, if it is burned, it should be replaced. I don't find it totally uncommon though. Maybe my thinking is wrong. I just changed the turn signal bulbs in the front of my 08 DTS and the sockets had some surface charring.

As far as the service ride control message...KHE is probably right, check for codes before my suggestion which may be jumping the gun on disabling the system's monitoring. I'd hate to see someone disable it when it was just a little dirt or corrosion in a plug up at one of the car's corners...

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Archived