CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

97 deville northstar v8. as i leave from work from sitting 8 hours but when i leave to go it doesnt slip as bad. as i go an it trys to shift in second it takes awhile an when it shifts 3rd is rough an i reach 67mph an than it shifts hard with a shake an than it seems like it has alot of power an goes. where can i start or what can i do? the shops around here are busy an itll be a week. thanks

Pull the diagnostic trouble codes, write them down and then post them here,

The trouble codes will tell us where to start.

forgot to put tht in there but there are no codes no engine light.

There can be codes, even if there is no check engine light. Press Off and Warmer simultaneously for a while to see the codes if you have the digital instrument cluster. For analogue, I think it is Passenger Side Warmer and Off. Repeatedly press Off afterwards to exit, or shut off the ignition.

Another thing you should do right away is to check the transmission fluid level, if you have not done it already. Should be done with engine idling after a driving/gearshifting procedure - the procedure is described in the instruction booklet.

/Jonas

There can be codes, even if there is no check engine light. Press Off and Warmer simultaneously for a while to see the codes if you have the digital instrument cluster. For analogue, I think it is Passenger Side Warmer and Off. Repeatedly press Off afterwards to exit, or shut off the ignition.

Another thing you should do right away is to check the transmission fluid level, if you have not done it already. Should be done with engine idling after a driving/gearshifting procedure - the procedure is described in the instruction booklet.

/Jonas

YA I CHECKED THE CODES YSTERDAY AN ILL CHECK THE FLUID. THANKS FOR THE HELP!

JUST CHECKED THE FLUID AN ITS ON THE FIRST LINE ON THE DIP STICK FOR THE TRANSMISSION I LET IT WARM UP AN TO IT TO THE GARAGE. BUT I CANT SEE ON TEH DIP STICK WHEN TO ADD OR NOT. THNKS

JUST CHECKED THE FLUID AN ITS ON THE FIRST LINE ON THE DIP STICK FOR THE TRANSMISSION I LET IT WARM UP AN TO IT TO THE GARAGE. BUT I CANT SEE ON TEH DIP STICK WHEN TO ADD OR NOT. THNKS

I am not sure what your mean. Why can you not see when to add or not on the dipstick? If the level is below the cross-hatched area when warm, you should add. Always be careful not to add too much, unless you have a way to get it out again. You may see two areas - one that says cold. That one ("COLD") is for guidance of the level when the fluid is not warmed up (for use when you change fluid etc). The final check should always be done with the transmission warm, using the cross-hatched area.

Can you not see the oil level on the dipstick at all? In that case, have a look down the hole where the dipstick goes (with the engine running). You should be able to see transmission fluid flowing down there (use a flashlight if it is to dark to see down). The distance between the black cap and cross-hatched area of the dipstick tells you approximately how far down the hole the fluid should be.

There is one more thing I think you should try: smell the transmission fluid. If it has a burnt smell, that is not good. Wipe the dipstick with some white paper and check the color also. It should be red. If it has become darker, that is not good. Transmission fluid has a very distinct smell even if it is new and not burnt, so if you have not smelled that before (or seen the color), get some new fluid and have a smell + look (or find a friend with a car with reasonably fresh fluid). I don't know if there are any major differences between the smell and color when it comes to other (non-GM) brands.

One more thing: try to not use CAPITAL LETTERS ALL THE TIME. It makes it harder to read your posts.

4T80-E%20dipstick.jpg

Here is a picture I took this morning of my transmission dipstick ('97 DeVille). I have marked what the different lines mean. When the transmission is at operational temperature (HOT), the level should by where the red dot is. In your case, since the transmission is behaving strangely, I would first check it COLD, before doing any more driving. The level should be above the mark "Minimum level cold". Get it up to there, then drive the car until the transmission is warmed up, and check that the level is within the crosshatched area (ideally at the red dot in the picture). It takes a few miles of highway driving to get the transmission warmed up - check the instruction booklet.

Archived