CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Looking at 2003 STS

Chris

Hi Guys,

I am going to take a look at a 2003 STS (130k km). Sell price is $6k certified, private sale.

I talked to the owner for about 15 minutes tonight. The only issue is says that he is aware of is the Stability Control Light is on.

He says that the struts were recently replaced with Monroes (he has reciepts), and since then, the stability light has been on.

My question - is there any real problem with this? I know this year of car had the Magnetaride system (was this an option) - is it ok to replace these with passive struts? Any potential problems?

I also intend to take it to a dealership to get the coolant tested for combustion byproducts. Any other specifics that I should be aware of?

Finally, out of interest, are there any pdf brochures for a 2003 Seville floating around the internet? I did a quick search and didnt find anything.

Thanks!

-Chris

owner replaced active struts with passive struts? perfect way to devalue a fine auto. either he could not find replacement struts or was too cheap to get new ones. what does certified mean? if it had warranty, why not put in proper parts? you could get car and find used struts from a boneyard if possible. such a nice car to not have OEM parts.

Chris, is this the STS on kijiji GTA? "navy blue with tan interior"?http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2003-Cadillac-STS-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ260279921

look1-1-1.jpg

2003 STS would come standard with Magnetic Ride Control ... best feature of the car.

I can't imagine replacing Magnaride with Monroe's .... completely changes the nature of the

beast, and not for the better!

I'm guessing this is the link:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2003-Cadillac-STS-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ260279921

Heck, if you can't be bothered to wash the car for the glamour shots, what type of neglect has this

car endured?

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Hi Guys,

I am going to take a look at a 2003 STS (130k km). Sell price is $6k certified, private sale.

I talked to the owner for about 15 minutes tonight. The only issue is says that he is aware of is the Stability Control Light is on.

He says that the struts were recently replaced with Monroes (he has reciepts), and since then, the stability light has been on.

My question - is there any real problem with this? I know this year of car had the Magnetaride system (was this an option) - is it ok to replace these with passive struts? Any potential problems?

I don't have any idea how or if the KBB.com values would be worth a flip north of the border, but that car in my zip code could be worth as much as US$8,350 in FAIR condition. I used FAIR because of the acknowledged mechanical (suspension) issue.

Personally, I would not touch the car unless the seller agrees to restore the front suspension to OEM parts specification. You might never drive the car to the limits of the suspension where the response difference between front and rear might make the difference between driving out of the situation and something far worse. But I sure would.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Davenport Subaru usually carries clean inventory.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/CADILLAC/SEVILLE/ORILLIA/Ontario/5_9759299_ON20070910110455351/

I like this 2002 STS with factory Nav. Clean car.

Jim, it's really tough to sell a used STS here in Ontario.

My 2003 STS with 130k was worth $6k wholesale, and later retailed for about $8k.

That car was extremely clean, with no flaws in the paint.

I bet $7k buys the 02 STS pictured above.

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Agreed, that is only 80,778 miles and you have to wonder who diagnosed faulty struts and then replaced them with old old technology.

The factory installed (F45) struts on my '98 clocked 145,800 miles and 8 years before I could no longer tolerate the loss of rebound damping.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

It seems strange that an 03 would require such suspension work at those low clicks..

My 03 STS also had a suspension issue, at about the same mileage.

Its not always that the shocks have failed.

With my car, the electronic connections had failed, and the shocks defaulted to "soft mode".

Great highway ride, but the 2 ton STS wallowed on bumpy roads in this setting.

I hated the ride (bottoming out at fast speeds) and sold the car, rather than enduring a very expensive repair.

Live and learn ... as Jim posted, never buy any STS with the "Speed Limited" message, unless the seller

restores the car to factory spec. Of course, they won't, not at $1k per strut x 4.

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

My 2003 STS with 130k was worth $6k wholesale, and later retailed for about $8k.

If I was in need of a used Cadillac and I lived in Ontario, I would be looking for a 2004 STS. The entire 2004 STS model production (and that was not a large number of cars) was exported to provide a US domestic one year STS model absence prior to introducing the CTS sized STS.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

With the exception of the Navvy,those elliptical tips,and only 98Kkms on ours it is exactly the same. We bought ours 4 years ago for 29 grand and only 28Kkms...

look1-1-1.jpg

If I was in need of a used Cadillac and I lived in Ontario, I would be looking for a 2004 STS. The entire 2004 STS model production (and that was not a large number of cars) was exported to provide a US domestic one year STS model absence prior to introducing the CTS sized STS.

Jim, the 04 Canada only STS' were basically left over 2003 STS', were they not?

Same car, so basically, no need to pay any premium for exclusivity?

That's how I saw it when I went shopping for an 03 or 04 STS last year.

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Jim, the 04 Canada only STS' were basically left over 2003 STS', were they not?

Same car, so basically, no need to pay any premium for exclusivity?

That's how I saw it when I went shopping for an 03 or 04 STS last year.

GM or any other car maker would not dare try to sell a new vehicle orignally produced and documented as an earlier year model. Too much exposure to liablity from a host of government agencies.

Since the production of 20XX model year cars typically begins in September of the previous calendar year, you can find many cars designated as 2004 models that were assembled in 2003. If you have the VIN, you can locate the exact day the car rolled off the production line.

There were 2004 Seville STS models produced, but not many. And none of those were delivered to domestic dealers.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks for the replies... Yes that is the car!

He says he didn't want to put the money into the struts so put in passives... how much would it cost for me to replace them (front only)?

Car says max speed limited at 145km/h.

Another problem is a ticking from under the hood. Can't hear it from inside, but somewhat loud outside. Likely just a belt rubbing where it shouldn't be but I'm not sure.

Finally (and maybe most serious - possibly related to the clicking?) is codes P0340 and P0341 which are "camshaft position sensor circuit" and "camshaft position sensor performance".

Honestly, I expected the car to be in better condition, but it may still be worth the money... Didnt check the coolant since I'm not sure about the other issues mentioned above.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

-Chris

If the "ticking" is present when cold,it may only be cold carbon rap, which means it hasn't had much exercise...WOT required...Have you actually taken it out? Those cam codes don't sound good tho...

look1-1-1.jpg

I drove it around for a while... sound still present after about 20 minutes of driving.

I wasn't able to take it out on the highway since it was bumper-to-bumper... Guess that's what I get for going there right after work.

-Chris

Request a REAL test drive,take it out pound the livin'*smurf* out of it and watch the temp gauge,should maintain 12oclock at all times. Also check the rearview for the exhaust...color of smoke,etc,you know how to properly perform the WOT exercise don't you? It may sound abusive,but apparently these Northstars just love it! I do the WOT at least once a month on our cars.Fun too!

look1-1-1.jpg

Thanks for the replies... Yes that is the car!

He says he didn't want to put the money into the struts so put in passives... how much would it cost for me to replace them (front only)?

In US$ to a US address, I can have OEM struts for $555.00 each (MSRP = $1,068 each) plus shipping. And I would do the install labor myself.

How those numbers would translate to CAN$ plus labor in the GTA, I have no idea.

Car says max speed limited at 145km/h.

There are several faults that will trigger that message. I urge you to display the Diagnostic Trouble Codes that are responsible for the message. If you see codes in the range of C1710 to C1722, the struts are the culprit. But make a note of ALL C and P codes.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

If you do go for another test drive on this, or any 98-04 STS, I would only add that you

cruise between 100km/hr to 115km/hr, and be aware of any shimmy or imbalance.

I have spent thousands on 3 different STS' of this vintage, trying to reduce the shimmy.

Initially, I had hoped a simple wheel balance would cure a shimmy.

After changing rims, tires, Road Force Balancing procedures on my cars ....next time, I'll walk away

and find an STS without the shimmy.

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Request a REAL test drive,take it out pound the livin'*smurf* out of it and watch the temp gauge,should maintain 12oclock at all times. Also check the rearview for the exhaust...color of smoke,etc,you know how to properly perform the WOT exercise don't you? It may sound abusive,but apparently these Northstars just love it! I do the WOT at least once a month on our cars.Fun too!

I may go back tomorrow later at night once the traffic has died down... I wanted to go right after work so I could see the car while it was still light out. But my '93 with 180k miles has seen its fair share of WOTs!

In US$ to a US address, I can have OEM struts for $555.00 each (MSRP = $1,068 each) plus shipping. And I would do the install labor myself.

How those numbers would translate to CAN$ plus labor in the GTA, I have no idea.

There are several faults that will trigger that message. I urge you to display the Diagnostic Trouble Codes that are responsible for the message. If you see codes in the range of C1710 to C1722, the struts are the culprit. But make a note of ALL C and P codes.

Here is a complete list of codes (I have a printout of the definitions but a few of them are missing - see notes below):

Current:

C0579 - Suspension solenoid circuit

C0584 - Suspension solenoid circuit

P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit

P0341 - Camshaft position sensor performance

History:

C1224

C1233

C1252

C1253

C1277

C1287

C1298 (not sure what this is)

B1328

C0620

C0635 (not sure what this is)

C0640 (not sure what this is)

C0710

B0077

B0078

B1004

U1016

U1151

U1040

U1000

P1571 (not sure what this is)

P1644 (not sure what this is)

Thanks for all the replies so far! Does anyone ahve any insight on the camshaft position codes?

-Chris

If the "ticking" is present when cold,it may only be cold carbon rap, which means it hasn't had much exercise...WOT required...Have you actually taken it out? Those cam codes don't sound good tho...

Here is a video so you can hear the sound of the clicking HERE.

-Chris

Here is a video so you can hear the sound of the clicking HERE.

That noise is a failed water pump tensioner bearing, NO QUESTION.

And it must be addressed before the bearing seizes (and it will), melts the belt and the water pump stops. Instant redline coolant temperature guage overheat is guaranteed.

That car has been neglected or maintained poorly. I would walk away!!

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived