CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I have two questions 1st..

I have two questions 1st..

I have what I think they call pin stripe side wall tires on my car (about a 2/12 white stripe ) can anyone tell me where I can get another set or do I need to special order them and about how much they run. ( size P235/55R17 98H )

2nd.. Do I have air shocks on this car? It seems that when I start it up I think I here air comming from somewhere, but unlike my linclon I use to have I don't feel it rise.

Thank you,

themoose680

You have air assisted rear shocks. It's part of the ELC (Electronic Level Control) system. The compressor runs at start up and when ever a load is placed in the rear (passengers or cargo). If you hear an air leak you need to spray the lines and fittings with soapy water to locate the leak. Be sure to spray the rear shock boots as well.

Not sure what tires you have. I didn't think they used white wall in 2002. They will be hard to find, but I think Michelin still has them.

I can't help you with the tires.

You have common old hydraulic shocks on the rear with an air bladder to maintain a level ride whether there is only one person in the car and the fuel tank is empty OR the rear seat is full of people and the trunk is fully loaded with vacation luggage for a two week trip.

What you might be hearing is the level control air compressor going through a test cycle when the engine is started. If you are in fact hearing air, you have a leak somewhere in the rear shock bladders or the air plumbing from side to side.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Read the make, specific model, and anything else you can off the sidewall. I did a quick look on the Michelin web site for a 2002 DTS (note that you don't give the model year in your profile, nor do you tell us which make of tires you have) and Michelin recommends three tires for your car: Energy MXV4 Plus, Pilot MXM4, and Primacy MXV4. Which one you would want depends on whether you prefer performance, ride, or maximum wear, but none of them have a white sidewall or stripe in the photos. This doesn't mean that it isn't available on one or more of them, though.

If your tires are now Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus tires, ask your tire dealer if that model tire comes with the white pinstripe sidewall. If he says no, that may mean that he doesn't stock them but may not mean that Micehlin doesn't make them; call Michelin to make sure.

If you prefer the 60,000 mile guarantee, ask about the Primacy MXV4. If you want better performance and feel at the expense of feeling the road more (i.e. give up a little smoothness on the ride), ask about the Pilot MXM4. If one of them comes with the pinstripe whitewall, all of them probably do.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Read the make, specific model, and anything else you can off the sidewall. I did a quick look on the Michelin web site for a 2002 DTS (note that you don't give the model year in your profile, nor do you tell us which make of tires you have) and Michelin recommends three tires for your car: Energy MXV4 Plus, Pilot MXM4, and Primacy MXV4. Which one you would want depends on whether you prefer performance, ride, or maximum wear, but none of them have a white sidewall or stripe in the photos. This doesn't mean that it isn't available on one or more of them, though.

If your tires are now Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus tires, ask your tire dealer if that model tire comes with the white pinstripe sidewall. If he says no, that may mean that he doesn't stock them but may not mean that Micehlin doesn't make them; call Michelin to make sure.

If you prefer the 60,000 mile guarantee, ask about the Primacy MXV4. If you want better performance and feel at the expense of feeling the road more (i.e. give up a little smoothness on the ride), ask about the Pilot MXM4. If one of them comes with the pinstripe whitewall, all of them probably do.

Thanks,

themoose680

I can't help you with the tires.

You have common old hydraulic shocks on the rear with an air bladder to maintain a level ride whether there is only one person in the car and the fuel tank is empty OR the rear seat is full of people and the trunk is fully loaded with vacation luggage for a two week trip.

What you might be hearing is the level control air compressor going through a test cycle when the engine is started. If you are in fact hearing air, you have a leak somewhere in the rear shock bladders or the air plumbing from side to side.

Thanks,

themoose680

Archived