CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

94 Fleetwood Trailer Wiring - need some help

I just installed a trailer hitch on my 94 fleetwood and was getting ready to hook up some trailer lights but when I peeled back the wiring in the trunk I found lots of wires, (i.e. 7 purple wires)reminding me that this vehicle has lights out indicators. I was hoping that someone could tell me the best way to hook up the trailer lights to this vehicle given each light has it’s own very small gauge wire going to it. I'm sure there is an ideal way that the factory set up connects. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks

Do you have the towing package?

I do have the towing package and it has a harness and big extension of wires in the trunk for hooking up trailers. If you dont have this I can look at the harness and see where the wires go to.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Even if you do not have the towing package, there should be a connector block in the trunk that the factory trailer harness plugs into. You could check with the dealer to see if the trailer harness is still available or make your own and use spade terminals to plug into the factory connector block.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

On my ´97 DeVille there is a connector that I assume is for trailer lights close to the trunk pull-down motor. I found it when I had removed the big piece of black plastic trim that covers the rear part of the trunk (just "inside" of the bumper (not the filt-covered lid over the spare tire), can anyone tell me what it is called, btw?). I do not have any towing package on my car, and I guess that I found the connector that Kevin mentioned.

/Jonas

in my fleetwood I followed the trailer wiring behind the carpet on the drivers side quarter panel. There it went into a bundle of wires and tape that it probably split off of. I dont really feel like tearing off all the tape and finding exactly what wires they splice off of since its 5 degrees outside and all. But I would say the wires you need to tap into are there on the drivers quarter in a bundle going to the back taillights. I would cut into some of the insulation on some of them and have someone step on the brakes and see which ones are brake lights. Or take out your taillights and find which color wire you need to look for. Its a jumble of 5 or 6 wires that my towing wire bundle has and Im just not sure telling you which wire splices where is going to help you.

Thanks soo much for taking a look. I have opened up the bundle going to the drivers side tail light and see all of the wires necessary to hook up lights but my concern is that these wires go to individual lights and have something like 24 gauge wire feeding them. Hanging additional lighting on these wires would sure be pushing it from my perspective. Is your vehicle set up with the factory tow package, I believe that it would have a V4P on the RPO sticker in the trunk. If not, it may have been hacked in by a dealer or installer. Typically if you hook into the small gauge wires, it looks like you add a powered isolator box that looks similar to a 5 to 4 wire converter but provided the actual power to the lights while using the small feed lines as a signal line only. Again, I really appreciate you looking for me CoupeDTS

Thanks soo much for taking a look. I have opened up the bundle going to the drivers side tail light and see all of the wires necessary to hook up lights but my concern is that these wires go to individual lights and have something like 24 gauge wire feeding them. Hanging additional lighting on these wires would sure be pushing it from my perspective. Is your vehicle set up with the factory tow package, I believe that it would have a V4P on the RPO sticker in the trunk. If not, it may have been hacked in by a dealer or installer. Typically if you hook into the small gauge wires, it looks like you add a powered isolator box that looks similar to a 5 to 4 wire converter but provided the actual power to the lights while using the small feed lines as a signal line only. Again, I really appreciate you looking for me CoupeDTS

Yep Im tow package V4P. The tow wires are in a nice little cadillac leather pouch when you open the trunk. The wires coming off the spliced wires are just as thick as the ones being ran to the brake lights. I know what you mean though if you hook up too many more lights it will blow a fuse and so Im not sure how everything is set up on my car so that things like that dont happen. I can take any pictures you want if it will help but like I said where all the wires meet its just a jumble of wires and even the ones coming off there I dont know which does what.

Also when I said splice into some wires, be careful not to mess with the fiber optic wires that illuminate the rear indicator inside the cabin.

Ill help as much as I can. Atleast without dismantling my car :P

Another thing. You might just google some of the companies that make trailer accessories and wiring and see if they have generic guidelines on how to hook up lights. Maybe they will explain its ok to add more lights onto existing wires for certain cars or whatnot. Im sure people add trailer hitches to all kinds of cars that arent setup for them originally.

On that note, for anyone, I have a bolt on hidden hitch that is like new for a 2000+ Deville for sale :D

Thanks again for the info. I plan to take a closer look when my son is home this weekend. This is actually his car now, my old car. And yes of course, he is planning to borrow my snowmobiles and boats to tow with it so it needs to be right.

BTW, I ment to add that I owned an 83 Deville like yours (Blue also) back in the day and it was by far the most comfortable Caddy I ever owned with Blue overstuffed velour seats. I had about every possible problem known to man with that thing to the point that my wife refused to drive it or even travel in it but to this day it remains my favorite due to the living room installed in the drivers compartment. I even liked the 4100 - all three of them LOL! (Caddy did provide them though) Thanks again

BTW, I ment to add that I owned an 83 Deville like yours (Blue also) back in the day and it was by far the most comfortable Caddy I ever owned with Blue overstuffed velour seats. I had about every possible problem known to man with that thing to the point that my wife refused to drive it or even travel in it but to this day it remains my favorite due to the living room installed in the drivers compartment. I even liked the 4100 - all three of them LOL! (Caddy did provide them though) Thanks again

Cool! My 4100 broke a piston at 93k miles. Powered by a chevy 355 now so its plenty reliable :) Yes these velour seats are crazy comfortable. The interior was mint when i bought it, no wear on the seats even. Ive sat in the leather versions and you slide all over and its not as soft.

• 3 years later...

Another thing. You might just google some of the companies that make trailer accessories and wiring and see if they have generic guidelines on how to hook up lights. Maybe they will explain its ok to add more lights onto existing wires for certain cars or whatnot. Im sure people add trailer hitches to all kinds of cars that arent setup for them originally.

On that note, for anyone, I have a bolt on hidden hitch that is like new for a 2000+ Deville for sale biggrin.gif

Hi. I'm about to have a custom hitch built for my 96 Fleetwood (V4P). The only hitch I can find is rated at 3,500 lbs and I'd like something rated at the cars capacity. Any suggestions? Or is building one the only option?

On that note, for anyone, I have a bolt on hidden hitch that is like new for a 2000+ Deville for sale biggrin.gif

Hi. I'm about to have a custom hitch built for my 96 Fleetwood (V4P). The only hitch I can find is rated at 3,500 lbs and I'd like something rated at the cars capacity. Any suggestions? Or is building one the only option?

Those cars are rated to tow 7000 lbs. I checked Reese's website and all that came up is one rated for 3500 lbs like you stated. It's called a class 3 though???

You might call Reese and/or DrawTite to see what they say. If you do go the custom route, make sure the person doing the fabrication is a certified welder.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived